Finding the magnetic field based on vector potential

In summary, using the given wave function and the definition of B, we have calculated the simplified expression for B in polar coordinates to be:B = \frac{l+1}{r}\hat{r}
jm16180339887

Homework Statement

If you have |[itex]\psi[/itex]>=cos([itex]\theta[/itex]/2)ei*l*[itex]\varphi[/itex]/2+sin([itex]\theta[/itex]/2)e-i*l*[itex]\varphi[/itex]/2ei[itex]\varphi[/itex]
and A=<[itex]\psi[/itex]|[itex]\partial[/itex][itex]\varphi[/itex]|[itex]\psi[/itex]>[itex]\hat{r}[/itex]
find B in polar coordinates

Homework Equations

B=[itex]\nabla[/itex]xA

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I got B=[itex]\frac{1}{r}[/itex][-iei[itex]\varphi[/itex]([itex]\frac{l(l-1)}{4}[/itex]e(l-1)-[itex]\frac{(1-l)(1-\frac{l}{2})}{2}[/itex]e(1-l))[itex]\hat{\theta}[/itex]-([itex]\frac{l}{2}[/itex]cos([itex]\theta[/itex]/2)sin([itex]\theta[/itex]/2)+[itex]\frac{l}{4}[/itex]sin2([itex]\theta[/itex]/2)ei[itex]\varphi[/itex](l-1)-[itex]\frac{l}{4}[/itex]cos2([itex]\theta[/itex]/2)ei[itex]\varphi[/itex](l-1)+([itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]cos2([itex]\theta[/itex]/2)-[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]sin2([itex]\theta[/itex]/2)-[itex]\frac{l}{4}[/itex]cos2([itex]\theta[/itex]/2)+[itex]\frac{l}{4}[/itex]sin2([itex]\theta[/itex]/2)ei[itex]\varphi[/itex](1-l)-cos([itex]\theta[/itex]/2)sin([itex]\theta[/itex]/2)+[itex]\frac{l}{2}[/itex]sin([itex]\theta[/itex]/2)cos([itex]\theta[/itex]/2))[itex]\hat{\varphi}[/itex]]

but I was told that the answer is l+1. How do I simplify this equation?

Physics news on Phys.org

First, let's rewrite the given wave function as:

|\psi>=cos(\theta/2)e^{i(l+1)\varphi/2}+sin(\theta/2)e^{-i(l-1)\varphi/2}

Next, we can calculate the gradient of A using the product rule:

\nabla A = \frac{\partial}{\partial r}(\frac{1}{r}A)\hat{r}+\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial A}{\partial \theta}\hat{\theta}+\frac{1}{r\sin{\theta}}\frac{\partial A}{\partial \varphi}\hat{\varphi}

Now, let's calculate each component separately:

\frac{\partial}{\partial r}(\frac{1}{r}A) = \frac{1}{r^2}A

\frac{\partial A}{\partial \theta} = <\psi|\frac{\partial}{\partial \theta}|\psi> = -\sin{\theta}cos{\theta}e^{i(l+1)\varphi/2}+\sin{\theta}cos{\theta}e^{-i(l-1)\varphi/2} = 0

\frac{\partial A}{\partial \varphi} = <\psi|\frac{\partial}{\partial \varphi}|\psi> = -\frac{i(l+1)}{2}e^{i(l+1)\varphi/2}+\frac{i(l-1)}{2}e^{-i(l-1)\varphi/2}

Substituting these components back into the gradient equation, we get:

\nabla A = \frac{1}{r^2}A\hat{r}+\frac{i(l+1)}{2r}e^{i(l+1)\varphi/2}\hat{\varphi}-\frac{i(l-1)}{2r}e^{-i(l-1)\varphi/2}\hat{\varphi}

Finally, we can use the definition of B to simplify this expression:

B = \nabla \times A = \frac{1}{r^2}A\hat{\varphi}+\frac{i(l+1)}{2r}e^{i(l+1)\varphi/2}\hat{r}-\frac{i(l-1)}{2r}e

1. What is the relationship between vector potential and magnetic field?

The vector potential is a mathematical construct that describes the direction and strength of the magnetic field at a given point. It is related to the magnetic field through the equation B = ∇ x A, where B is the magnetic field and A is the vector potential.

2. How do you calculate the magnetic field from the vector potential?

To find the magnetic field from the vector potential, you can use the equation B = ∇ x A, where ∇ is the gradient operator and x represents the cross product. This equation allows you to determine the magnetic field at any point by taking the curl of the vector potential.

3. What are the units of the vector potential?

The vector potential has units of joules per ampere (J/A) in the SI system. However, it is often expressed in the more convenient units of tesla-meters (T·m) in the context of magnetism.

4. Can the vector potential be used to calculate the magnetic field of any magnetic source?

Yes, the vector potential can be used to calculate the magnetic field of any magnetic source, including permanent magnets, electromagnets, and even moving charges. However, in some cases, it may be more convenient to use other methods, such as the Biot-Savart law.

5. How is the vector potential related to the scalar potential?

The vector potential is related to the scalar potential through the equation A = -∇φ, where φ is the scalar potential. This relationship is known as the gauge transformation and allows for the calculation of the vector potential from the scalar potential and vice versa.