1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the magnetic field

1. Apr 25, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two parallel wires are 5.60 cm apart and carry currents in opposite directions, as shown in the figure.

Find the magnitude of the magnetic field at point P due to two 1.50-\,{\rm mm} segments of wire that are opposite each other and each 8.00 {\rm cm} from P.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't know what to us for r or i'm using the wrong equation

but i used muenot Itop/(2pi r) + muenot I bottom/(2pi r) where r was the sqrt(8^2 +8^2)

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2008 #2
    I think you should use the Biot-Savart Law.

4. Apr 28, 2008 #3
    Can you rephrase that line so it is readable? I don't know what they are asking now...

If they're asking the magnetic field for only small segments of the wire than yes, use Biot-Savart.

If they're asking the magnetic field for large segments of the wire (nearing infinite in relation to the other distances) then you can probably use Ampere's law ( int B * dl = ...)

5. Apr 28, 2008 #4
    got it

I can't post pics yet. but i got it anyway I was using the wrong thing for r on each magnetic field.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?