Calculating Magnetic Field Between Parallel Wires

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnitude of the magnetic field at point P, which is located between two parallel wires that are 5.60 cm apart and carry currents in opposite directions. The wires have two 1.50 mm segments that are 8.00 cm from point P. The suggested equations are the Biot-Savart Law and Ampere's law, depending on whether the magnetic field is being calculated for small or large wire segments.
viperassasin

Homework Statement

Two parallel wires are 5.60 cm apart and carry currents in opposite directions, as shown in the figure.

Find the magnitude of the magnetic field at point P due to two 1.50-\,{\rm mm} segments of wire that are opposite each other and each 8.00 {\rm cm} from P.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know what to us for r or I'm using the wrong equation

but i used muenot Itop/(2pi r) + muenot I bottom/(2pi r) where r was the sqrt(8^2 +8^2)

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you should use the Biot-Savart Law.

Find the magnitude of the magnetic field at point P due to two 1.50-\,{\rm mm} segments of wire that are opposite each other and each 8.00 {\rm cm} from P.

Can you rephrase that line so it is readable? I don't know what they are asking now...

If they're asking the magnetic field for only small segments of the wire than yes, use Biot-Savart.

If they're asking the magnetic field for large segments of the wire (nearing infinite in relation to the other distances) then you can probably use Ampere's law ( int B * dl = ...)

got it

I can't post pics yet. but i got it anyway I was using the wrong thing for r on each magnetic field.

Related to Calculating Magnetic Field Between Parallel Wires

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region of space around a magnet or electric current where magnetic forces can be observed. It is represented by magnetic field lines that show the direction of the magnetic force at any given point.

2. How is the magnetic field measured?

The magnetic field is measured using a device called a magnetometer, which can detect and measure the strength and direction of the magnetic field. There are various types of magnetometers, such as the fluxgate magnetometer and the proton precession magnetometer, which are commonly used in scientific research.

3. What is the Earth's magnetic field and how is it important?

The Earth's magnetic field is a powerful force that surrounds our planet and protects it from harmful solar radiation. It is generated by the movement of molten iron in the Earth's outer core. This magnetic field also plays a crucial role in navigation and animal migration.

4. How do scientists study the magnetic field of other planets and celestial bodies?

Scientists can study the magnetic field of other planets and celestial bodies by using instruments such as magnetometers and magnetospheric probes. They also analyze data collected by spacecraft that orbit these bodies to map their magnetic fields.

5. Can the magnetic field of a magnet be changed?

Yes, the magnetic field of a magnet can be changed by exposing it to a strong external magnetic field or by heating it to a certain temperature. This process is known as magnetization and is commonly used to create permanent magnets or to demagnetize them.