Finding the magnitude of net force

In summary, to find the magnitude of net force given mass, angle, and acceleration, you can use the equation F=M*A. If the mass is on an inclined plane with an angle, you can decompose the gravitational force into two parts and then find the sum total of all the forces. The original question gives an example of a 725 gram block accelerating at 5.10 m/s squared at an angle of 14.0 degrees relative to horizontal.
ScienceGirl90
How do you find magnitude of net force given mass, angle, and acceleration? I have a mass of 725 kg, an acceleration of 5.10 m/s squared and an angle of 14.0 degrees.

The only equation I'm given is F=M*A but I don't know how to apply it when I have an angle as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess your mass is on an incliened plane with angle 14 degrees.

If so, then if there's no friction you have just gravitational force downwards, decompose this force into two Parts, one Normal to the surface (but opposite to the Normal force), the other parallel to the plane of inclination.

Hopes that helped somehow, your post doesn't seem to be very clearly written.

Hm okay. I'm sorry I didn't clearly state the question. The original question asks, "Find the magnitude of net force (i.e. the sum total of all the forces) on the following object:
A 725 gram block that is accelerating at 5.10 m/s2 at an angle of 14.0 degree relative to horizontal.

What is net force?

Net force is the sum of all the forces acting on an object. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How do you calculate net force?

To calculate net force, you must first identify all of the individual forces acting on an object. Then, you can use vector addition to find the sum of these forces. The resulting magnitude and direction will give you the net force.

What is the difference between net force and individual forces?

Individual forces act on an object in different directions and cancel each other out to some degree. Net force takes into account all of these forces to determine the overall effect on the object, whether it be a change in motion or a state of equilibrium.

Why is it important to find the magnitude of net force?

Knowing the magnitude of net force is important because it allows us to understand the overall effect of multiple forces on an object. This information is crucial in predicting and explaining the motion of objects.

Are there any units for net force?

Yes, net force is measured in units of Newtons (N). This is a derived unit, equal to the mass of an object multiplied by its acceleration (F=ma).