Finding the magnitude of the current flowing through a wire

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
13 replies · 3K views
rocky4920
Messages
19
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


upload_2018-3-7_13-24-21.png


Homework Equations



upload_2018-3-7_13-24-31.png

The Attempt at a Solution



upload_2018-3-7_13-24-46.png
[/B]

My question: in order to find the answer for part d, I have the L, the B, and the mass. However, the F equations have I, which I do not have. Would I have to solve for I in order to find F? If so, I would like some guidance on which formula is best to tackle part d.
Thank you for your time.
 
Attachments
  • upload_2018-3-7_13-24-21.png
    upload_2018-3-7_13-24-21.png
    15.2 KB · Views: 1,166
  • upload_2018-3-7_13-24-31.png
    upload_2018-3-7_13-24-31.png
    14.3 KB · Views: 1,120
  • upload_2018-3-7_13-24-46.png
    upload_2018-3-7_13-24-46.png
    38.8 KB · Views: 1,160
Physics news on Phys.org
So by doing so I would manipulate the following formula: B = µo I/2 pi r ?

I = 2 pi r B /
µo​


r = 0.25m since wire is .50 m
B= 1.6 T
µo​
= 4 pi x 10-7​
 
Um, no. The formula you've chosen gives the strength of the magnetic field at some distance r from a long current-carrying wire. And it doesn't make sense to take the distance to be the length of a short wire segment.

Instead, look at the reason for your answer to part (b).
 
rude man said:
Your drawing of the B field is incorrect. You've drawn the B field generated by the wire but that won't hold up the wire!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTPT8gJI3qJafdr_w2Vjfvsp4szJYHJT9KfqwhrwN1pq7WF3DW20Q.png


Based on the right hand rule, though, wouldn't the field go out of the page above the wire, and then into the page below it?
 
Attachments
  • images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTPT8gJI3qJafdr_w2Vjfvsp4szJYHJT9KfqwhrwN1pq7WF3DW20Q.png
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTPT8gJI3qJafdr_w2Vjfvsp4szJYHJT9KfqwhrwN1pq7WF3DW20Q.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 537
gneill said:
Um, no. The formula you've chosen gives the strength of the magnetic field at some distance r from a long current-carrying wire. And it doesn't make sense to take the distance to be the length of a short wire segment.

Instead, look at the reason for your answer to part (b).
Thank you for the help. Yes, I definitely was using the wrong equation.

F= ILA, therefore, I= F/LB
Is that a better approach to use?
 
rocky4920 said:
Thank you for the help. Yes, I definitely was using the wrong equation.

F= ILA, therefore, I= F/LB
Is that a better approach to use?
Yes, but... Why is the wire in equilibrium? What forces are balanced?
 
rocky4920 said:
Based on the right hand rule, though, wouldn't the field go out of the page above the wire, and then into the page below it?
As stated by @rude man , the wire won't hold itself up, regardless of the field it itself produces. What other field is mentioned in the problem statement? How must it be oriented in order to produce the required lift?
 
gneill said:
Yes, but... Why is the wire in equilibrium? What forces are balanced?

FE and FB. FE-FB= zero.
The electric field and the magnetic field.
 
rocky4920 said:
FE and FB. FE-FB= zero.
The electric field and the magnetic field.
No, there is only magnetic field and mass mentioned in the problem statement.
 
The link to the image that you've posted (post #12) is broken or is on a site that does not allow public access. PLease upload a copy of your image to our servers (UPLOAD button).