1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the mass of an object

1. Sep 27, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An octagon is on a table with no friction. There are two equal forces which are put on two faces of the octagon, one in direction of the north, the other in direction of the south-east. These forces are all 0,5 N. If the module of the acceleration is 0,3 m/s^2, what is the mass of the object.

2. Relevant equations
    Sum of Force of y = m * a in y

Sum of Force of x = m a in x

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that I must decompose my south-east forces and find its component. What I don't understand is how to find the components of the acceleration to be able to do my calculations. Could somebody give me a hint ?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2015 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You don't need to decompose the acceleration. You need to find the magnitude of the Force vector that is the vector sum of the two applied forces. Then you can use that and the given magnitude of acceleration to find the mass.

4. Sep 27, 2015 #3
    Oh ok, I'll try it and see what it gives.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted