Calculating Mass Using Forces and Acceleration

• Thread starter astrololo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, the problem involves an octagon on a frictionless table with two equal forces applied in different directions. The acceleration of the octagon is given and the goal is to find the mass of the object. The solution involves finding the magnitude of the force vector and using it to calculate the mass. Decomposing the acceleration is not necessary.
astrololo

Homework Statement

An octagon is on a table with no friction. There are two equal forces which are put on two faces of the octagon, one in direction of the north, the other in direction of the south-east. These forces are all 0,5 N. If the module of the acceleration is 0,3 m/s^2, what is the mass of the object.

Homework Equations

Sum of Force of y = m * a in y

Sum of Force of x = m a in x

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I must decompose my south-east forces and find its component. What I don't understand is how to find the components of the acceleration to be able to do my calculations. Could somebody give me a hint ?

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need to decompose the acceleration. You need to find the magnitude of the Force vector that is the vector sum of the two applied forces. Then you can use that and the given magnitude of acceleration to find the mass.

andrewkirk said:
You don't need to decompose the acceleration. You need to find the magnitude of the Force vector that is the vector sum of the two applied forces. Then you can use that and the given magnitude of acceleration to find the mass.
Oh ok, I'll try it and see what it gives.

1. How do you find the mass of an object?

To find the mass of an object, you can use a scale or balance to measure its weight in grams or kilograms. Alternatively, you can also use the formula "mass = density x volume" if you know the density and volume of the object.

2. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is the amount of matter in an object, while weight is the force of gravity acting on that object. Mass is measured in grams or kilograms, while weight is measured in Newtons.

3. Can you find the mass of an object without a scale or balance?

Yes, you can find the mass of an object using the formula "mass = density x volume" if you know the density and volume of the object. Additionally, you can also use other methods such as displacement or the oscillation method to find the mass of an object without a scale or balance.

4. How do you measure the density of an object?

Density is measured by dividing the mass of an object by its volume. The mass can be measured using a scale or balance, while the volume can be measured using a graduated cylinder or by calculating the displacement of water when the object is submerged.

5. Why is it important to know the mass of an object?

Knowing the mass of an object is important because it helps in understanding its physical properties and behavior. Mass is also a fundamental property used in many scientific calculations and equations. Additionally, the mass of an object can also help in identifying the material it is made of.