Finding the Maximum Angular Frequency for Blocks on a Turntable

In summary, two identical blocks placed along the same radius of a spinning turntable have a coefficient of static friction of 0.71 between the turntable and the blocks. The inner block is 4 cm from the center and the outer block is 5 cm from the center. The maximum angular frequency at which neither block slides is 1.24 rad/s. To find the tension in the string connecting the blocks, we can isolate the inner block and solve for the tension needed to counteract the maximum frictional resistance and the centrifugal acceleration.
Trentonx

Homework Statement

Two identical blocks are tied together with a string and placed along the same radius of a turntable that is spinning about its center. The inner block is 4 cm from the center and the outer block is 5 cm from the center. The coefficient of static friction between the turntable and the blocks is µs = 0.71, and the string is taut.
What is the maximum angular frequency such that neither block slides?

Homework Equations

a_c = (V^2)/R
w = 2pi/T
a_c = (w^2)R
F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Sum of force on inner block (known to be zero0
0 = µmg - T + m(w^2)R1
Sum of force on outer block (also zero)
0 = µmg + T + m(w^2)R2

I then took the two tensions to be equal, solved for one, then substituted in the other an solved for w, the angular frequency.
-T = µmg + m(w^2)R2
inserted
0 = µmg +(µmg + m(w^2)R2) + m(w^2)R1
masses cancel
0 = 2µg + (w^2)(R2+R1)
w = 1.24

Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Trentonx said:
0 = 2µg + (w^2)(R2+R1)
w = 1.24

Where did I go wrong?

Check your math again. Remember your units are cm = .01 m

Btw, you missed a sign along the way.

Another way to think about it is that the outward acceleration needs to overcome the frictional maximum resistance.

That implies directly that 2m*μ *g = ω²(r1 + r2)

Yup, it was my units. Not sure where I dropped the sign, but I got it to work out. Thank you.

So, continuing this problem, they give the mass of the blocks to be 32g (.032kg) and ask for the tension of the string connecting the blocks. I thought that I could take either of my equations, insert everything that I now have (w=12.43 rad/s) and just solve for tension. But that didn't work. It seems it should, but I must be missing something.

Look at the inner block in isolation.

You have the maximum frictional resistance μ*m*g and that is being offset by 2 forces
1) centrifugal acceleration m*ω²*r1 and
2) the Tension necessary to make up the difference.

That did it. I had assumed that the wrong direction for the centripital force to act. That was also what confused my signs in the first part of the problem. Thanks again.

1. How does the weight of the blocks affect the turntable's rotation?

The weight of the blocks will impact the turntable's rotation by increasing or decreasing the amount of torque required to turn the turntable. Heavier blocks will require more torque to rotate, while lighter blocks will require less torque.

2. What is the relationship between the placement of the blocks and the turntable's rotation?

The placement of the blocks on the turntable will affect its rotation by changing the center of mass. If the blocks are evenly distributed around the turntable, the center of mass will remain in the center and the turntable will rotate smoothly. However, if the blocks are placed unevenly or all on one side, the center of mass will shift and cause the turntable to rotate unevenly or potentially even tip over.

3. How does friction impact the rotation of the turntable when blocks are placed on it?

Friction between the turntable and the blocks will create resistance to the rotation of the turntable. This can be seen when trying to rotate the turntable with blocks on it by hand. The more friction there is, the harder it will be to turn the turntable.

4. What happens to the speed of rotation when blocks are added or removed from the turntable?

The speed of rotation of the turntable will change when blocks are added or removed due to the conservation of angular momentum. Adding blocks will increase the moment of inertia and decrease the angular velocity, while removing blocks will decrease the moment of inertia and increase the angular velocity.

5. How does the shape of the blocks affect the turntable's rotation?

The shape of the blocks will impact the turntable's rotation by changing the distribution of mass and the center of mass. For example, a block with a wider base will have a lower center of mass and be more stable on the turntable compared to a tall, narrow block with a higher center of mass.