Calculating Moles of MgIn2S4 from Given Masses of Mg, In, and S

• Thread starter nirajnishad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air Mass
In summary, the question is asking how many moles of MgIn2S4 can be made from one gram each of Mg, In, and S. The atomic masses are given and the equation Moles = mass/molecular mass can be used to find the moles of each entity. The calculated moles are: Mg - 0.04167 moles, In - 0.00871 moles, and S - 0.03125 moles. To find the moles of the compound, the moles of each entity can be added together. Alternatively, the mass of the compound can be determined by using its molar mass (32 + 24 + 114.8) and dividing it by the given
nirajnishad

Homework Statement

How many moles of MgIn2S4 can be made from one gram each of Mg, In, and S? Atomic masses are given.

Homework Equations

Moles = mass/molecular mass

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found the moles of each entity.

Mg - 0.04167 moles
In - 0.00871 moles
S - 0.03125 moles

Do I find the moles of the compound mentioned by adding the moles I have found here or do I say that the mass of the strange compound I have here is 3 g and that the moles formed are 3/(32 + 24 + 114.8 = molar mass of MgIn2S4)?

How do I proceed?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry for the misleading title of the thread. It should be finding the number of moles!

1. What is the definition of molar mass?

The molar mass of a substance is the mass of one mole of that substance. It is usually expressed in units of grams per mole (g/mol).

2. How is molar mass of air calculated?

The molar mass of air can be calculated by finding the weighted average of the molar masses of all the gases present in air. This includes nitrogen, oxygen, carbon dioxide, and other trace gases.

3. Why is it important to know the molar mass of air?

Knowing the molar mass of air is important in various scientific fields, such as chemistry, physics, and meteorology. It can be used to calculate the density, pressure, and other properties of air, which are crucial in understanding atmospheric processes and predicting weather patterns.

4. What is the molar mass of air at standard temperature and pressure?

The molar mass of air at standard temperature and pressure (STP) is approximately 28.97 g/mol. This value may vary slightly depending on the exact composition of air and the units used for calculation.

5. How does the molar mass of air change with altitude?

The molar mass of air decreases with increasing altitude due to the decrease in concentration of heavier gases, such as oxygen and nitrogen. This is why the air is thinner at high altitudes and the molar mass is lower than at sea level.