Finding the moment of inertia of a compound object

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
dentulousfing
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A uniform bas has two small balls glued to its end, the bar is 2.00 m long, and it has a mass 4.00 Kg, while the balls, have mass 0.500Kg and can be treated as point masses. Find the moment of inertia of this combination about each of the following axes. a) an axis perpendicular to the bar through its center.


Homework Equations


I=1/3ML^2
I=[tex]\Sigma[/tex]mr^2

The Attempt at a Solution


I=1/3ML^2
I=1/3(4.00Kg)(2.00m)^2
I=5.33 Kgm^2

I=[tex]\Sigma[/tex]mr^2
I=(0.500Kg)(2.00m)^2(2)
I=1.0Kgm^2

I tot =6.33 Kgm^2
I am supposed to add both results?, how is the result of hit sexercise 2.33 Kgm^2?
thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe that's the equation when the axis of rotation goes through one of the bar's end. when the axis crosses the center of the bar I=1/3ML^2 according to my textbook.
 
you were right, I am so sorry. thanks. I finally got it.!