Finding the Net Movement of Vectors

• Thread starter NecroWinter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the net force using components and determining the direction of movement. The person is unsure about their solution and mentions not having access to answers for confirmation.
NecroWinter

Homework Statement

phy.png

If I can get help with problem A) I should be able to figure out the rest on my own.

Homework Equations

None that I know of?

The Attempt at a Solution

When I see the word component of the net force, I tend to get a bit confused, but if you have something like

<1,2> <3,4> <5,6>

it would be <9,12>

so my gut instinct is to go ahead and just ad up the forces, to get 14

there arent answers in the back of my book for certain questions so I have no idea if its right though I doubt it

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
NecroWinter said:

Homework Statement

phy.png

thanks

If you follow the path of F1, your position will be further up AND further left.
For F2, the position will be further up AND further right
For F3, the position will be only further down, no movement relative to left or right.

Relative movements that move to the left or right, up or down are the components.

You find the net movement.

Related to Finding the Net Movement of Vectors

1. What is the process for adding vectors algebraically?

The process for adding vectors algebraically involves first identifying the magnitude and direction of each vector. Then, the components of each vector are added together using basic algebraic operations. The resulting vector is the sum of the original vectors.

2. How do you find the magnitude and direction of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector can be found using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the magnitude is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the vector's components. The direction of a vector can be found using trigonometric functions, such as tangent, sine, and cosine, to determine the angle between the vector and a reference axis.

3. Can you add more than two vectors algebraically?

Yes, you can add any number of vectors algebraically by first finding the components of each vector and then adding them together using basic algebraic operations. The resulting vector will be the sum of all the original vectors.

4. Can vectors be subtracted algebraically?

Yes, vectors can be subtracted algebraically by first finding the components of each vector, and then subtracting the components of the subtracted vector from the components of the other vector. The resulting vector will be the difference between the two original vectors.

5. Are there any properties or rules for adding vectors algebraically?

Yes, there are several properties and rules for adding vectors algebraically. These include the commutative property, which states that the order in which the vectors are added does not matter, and the associative property, which states that the grouping of vectors being added does not matter. There are also rules for adding vectors with opposite directions and for adding vectors at right angles to each other.