Finding the Rate of Change of a Falling Ladder

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a falling ladder on a friction-less surface and the rate of change of its height and angle at a particular instant in time. The solution involves using the Pythagorean theorem to calculate the rate of change of height and the trigonometric functions to calculate the rate of change of angle. However, there is some confusion about the results being constant and the thread was moved and later unlocked for further discussion.
sherrellbc
https://www.khanacademy.org/math/calculus/derivative_applications/rates_of_change/v/falling-ladder-related-rates
H5Iy3V3.jpg

Essentially, the question states that a ladder, with length 10ft, is laid up against a wall with its bottom 8ft out. The ladder begins to slip, on a friction-less surface, at a rate of 4 ft/s. The problem asks to find the rate of change of height at that particular instant in time.

Now, my question to you is ..
Given that this ladder is on a friction-less surface, and the falling action is not affected by gravity, wouldn't the rate of change of the height be constant? Similarly, the rate of change of the angle should also be constant, given that the height is changing at a constant rate.

Correct me where I went wrong.

The base of the triangle, as a function of time, can be written as (8 + 4t)
The hypotenuse remains 10, and the height is, of course, h.
Solve for h using the pythagorean theorem =>
h² = 100 - (8+4t)²
h = ±√(100 - (8+4t)²)
dh/dt = -(t+32)/(-t²-64t+36)^½

If you evaluate at 0, the correct answer is derived. But this function is undefined for any integer number > 0, and any rational number less than 0 really doesn't make any sense for this problem. What kind of a result is that? Although, you can get real values for rational numbers approximately 0 < x < 1. That shows that the height is changing as a function of time?!

However, if one were to execute the necessary steps to determine how the angle(bottom right) was changing with respect to time, you would resolve a constant!

cos(Θ) = (8+4t)/10
-sin(Θ) * dΘ/dt = 4/10
dΘ/dt = -2/(5sin(36.87°))

This result is most certainly a constant. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
h^2 = 100 - (8 + 4t)^2
2h dh/dt = -2(8 + 4t)(4)
dh/dt = -4(8 + 4t)/h
dh/dt = -(32 + 16t)/sqrt(36 - 64t - 16t^2)

rude man said:
h^2 = 100 - (8 + 4t)^2
2h dh/dt = -2(8 + 4t)(4)
dh/dt = -4(8 + 4t)/h
dh/dt = -(32 + 16t)/sqrt(36 - 64t - 16t^2)

Perhaps this is a better way to do it, but both solutions are the same. I realized later than I had mistakenly typed -t² instead of -16t².

Anyway, this thread was moved from another subforum and remained locked. I created a new thread and then this thread became unlocked.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=699231

What is the definition of "Ladder rate of change"?

Ladder rate of change refers to the rate at which a variable changes over time, where the change occurs in a series of discrete steps or intervals rather than a continuous flow.

How is "Ladder rate of change" different from "Continuous rate of change"?

The main difference between ladder rate of change and continuous rate of change is the way in which the change occurs. Ladder rate of change involves discrete steps or intervals, while continuous rate of change involves a smooth and continuous flow.

What factors can affect the "Ladder rate of change" of a variable?

The ladder rate of change of a variable can be influenced by a variety of factors, including the initial value of the variable, the size of the steps or intervals, and any external factors that may impact the variable.

How can the "Ladder rate of change" be calculated?

The ladder rate of change can be calculated by dividing the change in the variable over a certain time period by the number of steps or intervals during that time period. This will give the average rate of change per step or interval.

What are some real-life examples where "Ladder rate of change" is applicable?

Ladder rate of change can be observed in a variety of natural and man-made systems. Some examples include the growth of a tree over time, the production rate of a factory, and the fluctuations in stock prices over a period of time.