Finding the resistance of a solenoid?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter mattattack
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Resistance Solenoid
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
mattattack
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
I have a solenoid with 180 turns, which is 10 cm long. It has a half core of magnets (which could be constituted as part iron core). The magnetic field strength was measured to be 0.004982 T inside the solenoid around the middle when 12v was run through it and 0.004512 without power running through it. To work out the theoretical magnetic field, I have to use Ampere's law:
B=μ x N x I

B = 8.75x10^-4(because of the iron core)x180x(current in amps)

The problem is I don't have the current in amps.

But I thought I could use Ohm's law:
V= IR

and changed it to

I= V/R

I need the resistance without measuring it, but I don't know how to get it.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the diameter of the wire, and the material it's made of? If so, try Googling for "resistivity."