Finding the resistance of a solenoid?

In summary, the conversation discusses a solenoid with 180 turns and a length of 10 cm. It has a half core of magnets and the magnetic field strength was measured to be 0.004982 T with 12v running through it and 0.004512 T without power. To find the theoretical magnetic field, Ampere's law is used. However, there is a lack of information regarding the current in amps and the resistance, which can possibly be calculated using Ohm's law and the wire's diameter and material resistivity.
mattattack
I have a solenoid with 180 turns, which is 10 cm long. It has a half core of magnets (which could be constituted as part iron core). The magnetic field strength was measured to be 0.004982 T inside the solenoid around the middle when 12v was run through it and 0.004512 without power running through it. To work out the theoretical magnetic field, I have to use Ampere's law:
B=μ x N x I

B = 8.75x10^-4(because of the iron core)x180x(current in amps)

The problem is I don't have the current in amps.

But I thought I could use Ohm's law:
V= IR

and changed it to

I= V/R

I need the resistance without measuring it, but I don't know how to get it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the diameter of the wire, and the material it's made of? If so, try Googling for "resistivity."

1. How do you calculate the resistance of a solenoid?

The resistance of a solenoid can be calculated using the formula R = (μ * n * l) / A, where R is resistance, μ is the permeability of the core material, n is the number of turns in the solenoid, l is the length of the solenoid, and A is the cross-sectional area of the solenoid.

2. What factors affect the resistance of a solenoid?

The resistance of a solenoid is affected by the material of the core, the length and thickness of the wire, the number of turns in the solenoid, and the temperature of the solenoid.

3. How does the number of turns in a solenoid affect its resistance?

The number of turns in a solenoid is directly proportional to its resistance. This means that as the number of turns increases, the resistance also increases.

4. How does the material of the core affect the resistance of a solenoid?

The material of the core can greatly affect the resistance of a solenoid. Materials with higher permeability, such as iron, will have a lower resistance compared to materials with lower permeability, such as air.

5. Can the resistance of a solenoid be changed?

Yes, the resistance of a solenoid can be changed by altering factors such as the number of turns, the material of the core, or the thickness of the wire. The resistance can also be changed by varying the input voltage or using a different power source.