Finding the Right DC/DC Converter for Iowa State SAE

In summary, the conversation is about finding a DC/DC Converter that can boost 12V DC to 24V DC to power two electromagnetic clutches for a competition. The person is concerned about the reliability of the chosen converters and is seeking input for finding a more reliable and cost-effective option. They also discuss the possibility of revisiting the clutch selection and mention the weight consideration for the converter.
tarmon.gaidon
Hey Everyone,

I am working with the Iowa State University SAE and need to find a DC/DC Converter that fits our application. We are running two electromagnetic clutches instead of a traditional differential. So I need to be able to take the regulated 12V DC at 10A from the stator and boost it to 24V DC. Each clutch needs around 2A.

I have noticed a lot of the converters have an on/off functionality and I was considering using two converters so that I can control which clutch/clutches has power.

I have found a couple that appear to fit out application but I am kind of worried about them failing. I am hoping to find something very reliable because if they fail we will basically be out of luck at our competition. (Everyone on the team that drove 36 hours would be pretty upset with me.)

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Robert Hill

p.s. I need to find something on a reasonably short time frame, hopefully I can get a hold of something in the next couple of weeks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
tarmon.gaidon said:
Hey Everyone,

I am working with the Iowa State University SAE and need to find a DC/DC Converter that fits our application. We are running two electromagnetic clutches instead of a traditional differential. So I need to be able to take the regulated 12V DC at 10A from the stator and boost it to 24V DC. Each clutch needs around 2A.

I have noticed a lot of the converters have an on/off functionality and I was considering using two converters so that I can control which clutch/clutches has power.

I have found a couple that appear to fit out application but I am kind of worried about them failing. I am hoping to find something very reliable because if they fail we will basically be out of luck at our competition. (Everyone on the team that drove 36 hours would be pretty upset with me.)

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Robert Hill

p.s. I need to find something on a reasonably short time frame, hopefully I can get a hold of something in the next couple of weeks.

Just curious: Why are you locked into a 24 volt clutch? There are tons of 12 volt clutches out there.

Truthfully I wasn't the one selecting the clutch but from what I understand there were several 12V clutches that we looked at but either price or availability stopped us from acquiring them.

tarmon.gaidon said:
Truthfully I wasn't the one selecting the clutch but from what I understand there were several 12V clutches that we looked at but either price or availability stopped us from acquiring them.

If there is still time, in the interest of cost and reliability, you might want to revisit the clutch selection.

What worries you about your existing choices? I could link to a number of options through standard suppliers but don't know that they would be any better than what you have already selected.

I guess truthfully I am not sure what worries me. This is something I am not really familiar with and I wanted to make sure that I find something that will be very reliable.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Cincon/CHB50-12S24/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtwaiKVUtQsNZk%2fyhBUJKktmTV1yafdAHw%3d

This is the only mouser had that seemed to fit our application that wasn't out of stock for the next two months.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem is that you need an inexpensive supply. Industrial and military grade supplies this size can run as much as $400-$500.

I thought I had a link for one from Allied, but they didn't have the proper input range for the amp rating. You might scan Allied for any other options.
http://www.alliedelec.com/

You might also try checking with Lambda and Sola directly.

Last edited:
Tarmon: Don't forget about the weight! A converter is going to be generally heavy... a lot heavier than not having one xD Every gram makes a difference!

Oh, and we'll see you at competition this year. Good luck :)

Paul - University of Western Ontario FSAE

1. What is a DC/DC converter and why is it important for Iowa State SAE?

A DC/DC converter is an electronic device that converts the voltage from a direct current (DC) source to a different level. This is important for Iowa State SAE because it allows for efficient and stable power supply to various electrical components in their vehicles.

2. How do I determine the right DC/DC converter for Iowa State SAE?

The right DC/DC converter for Iowa State SAE can be determined by considering factors such as the input and output voltage requirements, power rating, efficiency, size and weight, and environmental conditions. It is important to consult with a knowledgeable supplier or conduct thorough research to select the best option.

3. What type of DC/DC converter is suitable for Iowa State SAE?

The type of DC/DC converter suitable for Iowa State SAE will depend on the specific needs of their vehicles. Some common types include buck converters, boost converters, and buck-boost converters. Each type has its own advantages and limitations, so it is important to carefully evaluate the requirements before making a decision.

4. Can I use a DC/DC converter from any supplier for Iowa State SAE?

No, it is not recommended to use a DC/DC converter from any supplier for Iowa State SAE without proper research and consideration. It is important to select a reliable and reputable supplier that offers high-quality and suitable products for the specific needs of Iowa State SAE.

5. Are there any safety precautions to keep in mind when using a DC/DC converter for Iowa State SAE?

Yes, there are some safety precautions to keep in mind when using a DC/DC converter for Iowa State SAE. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and guidelines for installation and operation. Additionally, proper grounding and insulation techniques should be followed to prevent electrical hazards. Regular maintenance and inspections should also be conducted to ensure safe and efficient operation.