Finding the tangent equations of the curve

  • Thread starter Thread starter ruiwp13
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Curve Tangent
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
ruiwp13
Messages
40
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Find the tangent equations to the curve y^2= x-1/x+1 at the points with x=2

Homework Equations



y=mx+b

dy/dx

The Attempt at a Solution



I tried to solve in order to y: y=sqrt((x-1)/(x+1))

Then I derived to obtain the slope, but this is the part that I don't know if it is correct. Do I need to derive the equation to get the slope, and after getting the slope I substitute the x in the equation that I got to get the tangent equation? I'm stuck here

Thanks in advance
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
from reading your problem you should expect more than one point where x=2.

Next when taking the sqrt you'll have two possible eqns y=+sqrt(...) and y=-sqrt(...)

when you say derive do you mean doing the sqrt or differentiate as in differential calculus?
 
jedishrfu said:
from reading your problem you should expect more than one point where x=2.

Next when taking the sqrt you'll have two possible eqns y=+sqrt(...) and y=-sqrt(...)

when you say derive do you mean doing the sqrt or differentiate as in differential calculus?

as in differential calculus... but I'm not sure if that's the correct method :p I know I have to take the square out of y. So I'll have too possible equations. But after taking it, I don't know what to do. I'll get y = sqrt((x-1)/(x+1)) or y = -sqrt((x-1)/(x+1))