Finding the tangent equations of the curve

In summary, to find the tangent equations to the curve y^2 = x-1/x+1 at the points with x=2, you need to first solve for y by taking the square root of both sides. This will give you two possible equations: y = +sqrt((x-1)/(x+1)) or y = -sqrt((x-1)/(x+1)). Next, you need to differentiate the equation(s) to find the slope of the tangent line at the point x=2. Finally, substitute the value of x=2 into the slope equation and use the point-slope form (y-y1=m(x-x1)) to find the tangent equation(s).
ruiwp13

Homework Statement

Find the tangent equations to the curve y^2= x-1/x+1 at the points with x=2

Homework Equations

y=mx+b

dy/dx

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve in order to y: y=sqrt((x-1)/(x+1))

Then I derived to obtain the slope, but this is the part that I don't know if it is correct. Do I need to derive the equation to get the slope, and after getting the slope I substitute the x in the equation that I got to get the tangent equation? I'm stuck here

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
from reading your problem you should expect more than one point where x=2.

Next when taking the sqrt you'll have two possible eqns y=+sqrt(...) and y=-sqrt(...)

when you say derive do you mean doing the sqrt or differentiate as in differential calculus?

jedishrfu said:
from reading your problem you should expect more than one point where x=2.

Next when taking the sqrt you'll have two possible eqns y=+sqrt(...) and y=-sqrt(...)

when you say derive do you mean doing the sqrt or differentiate as in differential calculus?

as in differential calculus... but I'm not sure if that's the correct method :p I know I have to take the square out of y. So I'll have too possible equations. But after taking it, I don't know what to do. I'll get y = sqrt((x-1)/(x+1)) or y = -sqrt((x-1)/(x+1))

whats the definition of derivative? isn't it the slope of a tangent line at that point?

1. What is the definition of a tangent line?

A tangent line is a line that touches a curve at only one point and has the same slope as the curve at that point.

2. How do you find the equation of a tangent line?

To find the equation of a tangent line, you need to first find the slope of the curve at the point of tangency. This can be done by taking the derivative of the curve at that point. Then, you can use the point-slope form of a line to write the equation of the tangent line.

3. What is the difference between a tangent line and a secant line?

A tangent line touches a curve at only one point, while a secant line intersects the curve at two points.

4. Can you find the equation of a tangent line without knowing the derivative?

No, the derivative is necessary to find the slope of the curve at a specific point, which is needed to write the equation of the tangent line.

5. How do you use the equation of a tangent line to approximate the curve?

By finding the equation of the tangent line and plugging in values for x, you can find the corresponding y values and plot them on a graph. This allows you to see how closely the tangent line approximates the curve at different points.