Finding The Tension force with different angles

In summary, the student attempted to solve for the t in an equation, but got bad results. They first plugged in the values for cos and sin of the angles at which the strings were attached to the ceiling, and then solved for the t. They found that t1= T2(.49) and t2= 21.74lb + T1(.54).
Ashleyz

Homework Statement

I have done all the physics for this problem which I'll detail below. I am only having trouble in doing the simple math to single out the t1 or t2.

A mass is hanging from a ceiling. It is supported by two strings which both are attached above to the ceiling. String 1 is at an angle of 30. String 2 is at an angle of 65. While the
mass is 20 lb. ( in the center)

Homework Equations

Ma = 0 in both the x and y directions.

The Attempt at a Solution

left T (T1) =30 degrees

right T (T2) = 65 degrees.

ok, here are my equations that I get to:

X: T2cos(65) - T1cos(30) = 0

Y: T2sin(65) + T1sin(30) = 0

now I just need to solve for, say, T1 in the x dierection and use that new eq. to
pluge into Y. Right?

Physics news on Phys.org
The 20 pounds is the value of the weight of the hanging mass; it is not the mass. In your last equation in the y direction, you are missing a force.

right. I am missing -w. Sorry about the mistake.

Now what of the T that I need to solve for. I have Solved for the T in my
x and y equation and get bad nasty answers.

First plug in the value for cos 65, sin 65, etc. Then solve the 2 equations with the 2 unknowns as you see fit.

Do you mean this:

I'll take the x eq. and solve for t1.

I get T1 = T2cos(65) / cos (30)

now I can take this eq. for T1 and plug it in for T1 in the y eq?

It will be a lot easier if you rewrite your first equation as T1= T2(.423)/.866 = 0.49T2. Rewrite the 2nd equation in the same manner, then do the substitution.

PhanthomJay said:
It will be a lot easier if you rewrite your first equation as T1= T2(.423)/.866 = 0.49T2. Rewrite the 2nd equation in the same manner, then do the substitution.

I see.

T1 = T2(.49)

T2 = 21.74lb + T1(.54) I divided .92 into lbs., think you can do that.

now ill put T2 in the T1 eq. Right?

1. What is tension force?

Tension force is the pulling force exerted by a string, rope, or cable when it is stretched.

2. How do you find the tension force with different angles?

To find the tension force with different angles, you can use the formula T = F / cosθ, where T is the tension force, F is the applied force, and θ is the angle between the applied force and the direction of the string.

3. Why is it important to consider different angles when calculating tension force?

It is important to consider different angles when calculating tension force because the direction of the applied force can affect the magnitude of the tension force. In some cases, the tension force may be greater or lesser than the applied force depending on the angle.

4. What units are used to measure tension force?

Tension force is typically measured in Newtons (N) or pounds (lbs).

5. Can tension force be negative?

Yes, tension force can be negative. A negative tension force indicates that the string is being compressed or pulled in the opposite direction of the applied force.