Finding the Uncertainty in the motion of a pendulum

In summary: I will go back and try to understand what you are saying. In summary, the general formula for the (infinitesimal) variation in a function of two variables f(x,y) in terms of the (infinitesimal) variation in ##x## and ##y## is: $$ {df\over dx} = f'\ \Rightarrow \ df = f'\, dx $$ or (for small ##\Delta x##) : $$\Delta f \approx f'\,\Delta x$$
aatari
Homework Statement
What is the expression for the uncertainty in finding from the motion of a pendulum
g = 4π^2 L/T^2

Assuming an uncertainty in L of δL, and uncertainty in T of δT.
Relevant Equations
g = 4π^2 L/T^2
Hi guys can someone look at my work for uncertainty and let me know if it makes sense.
WhatsApp Image 2020-11-05 at 10.08.12 AM.jpeg

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't even understand the first step. Where did you find that ?
Nor do I understand the last step. What are you doing there ?

What is the general formula for the (infinitesimal) variation in a function of two variables ##f(x,y)## in terms of the (infinitesimal) variation in ##x## and ##y## ?

Are you still there ?

sorry just seeing your message now. Actually the question asked to show the expression of uncertainty. I asked the TA and this is apparently correct based on the method in the attached image.
1604718617004.png

BvU said:
What is the general formula for the (infinitesimal) variation in a function of two variables f(x,y) in terms of the (infinitesimal) variation in ##x## and ##y## ?
My hunch is that this question and your
1604746057048.png
refer to one and the same:

For a function of one variable we write (casually) $$ {df\over dx} = f'\ \Rightarrow \ df = f'\, dx $$ or (for small ##\Delta x##) : $$\Delta f \approx f'\,\Delta x$$

In the case of two variables this becomes $$df = {\partial f\over \partial x} dx + {\partial f\over \partial y} dy$$leading to (C.14) in your image for the case ##f = {x\over y}##.

In your post #1, however, you write $$ g = 4\pi^2\, {L\over T^2} $$$$ {dg\over g} = {L\over T^2}$$which is something else and simply wrong (effectively, it says ## g = 4\pi^2## ?:) )

Could it be you meant $$ {dg\over g} = { d\,{L\over T^2} \over {L\over T^2}}\quad ? $$

I suggest you go a step back to the general formula and work out ##\partial g\over \partial L## and ##\partial g\over \partial T## to come to an expression for ##dg##.

Once you fully understand that, we can work out an alternative approach using C.4 (and, as I suppose C.3).

Likes aatari
BvU said:
My hunch is that this question and your View attachment 272252 refer to one and the same:

For a function of one variable we write (casually) $$ {df\over dx} = f'\ \Rightarrow \ df = f'\, dx $$ or (for small ##\Delta x##) : $$\Delta f \approx f'\,\Delta x$$

In the case of two variables this becomes $$df = {\partial f\over \partial x} dx + {\partial f\over \partial y} dy$$leading to (C.14) in your image for the case ##f = {x\over y}##.

In your post #1, however, you write $$ g = 4\pi^2\, {L\over T^2} $$$$ {dg\over g} = {L\over T^2}$$which is something else and simply wrong (effectively, it says ## g = 4\pi^2## ?:) )

Could it be you meant $$ {dg\over g} = { d\,{L\over T^2} \over {L\over T^2}}\quad ? $$

I suggest you go a step back to the general formula and work out ##\partial g\over \partial L## and ##\partial g\over \partial T## to come to an expression for ##dg##.

Once you fully understand that, we can work out an alternative approach using C.4 (and, as I suppose C.3).
Thanks for your suggestion!

What is a pendulum and how does it work?

A pendulum is a simple device that consists of a weight suspended from a fixed point by a string or rod. When the weight is pulled to one side and released, it swings back and forth in a regular pattern known as a harmonic motion. This motion is caused by the force of gravity acting on the weight and the tension in the string or rod.

What is the uncertainty in the motion of a pendulum?

The uncertainty in the motion of a pendulum refers to the range of possible values for the pendulum's period, or the time it takes for one complete swing. This uncertainty can be affected by factors such as the length of the string, the weight of the pendulum, and the angle at which it is released.

How do you calculate the uncertainty in the motion of a pendulum?

The uncertainty in the motion of a pendulum can be calculated using the formula ΔT = ± (Tmax - Tmin)/2, where ΔT is the uncertainty in the period, Tmax is the maximum period, and Tmin is the minimum period. This formula takes into account the range of possible values for the period and provides a measure of the uncertainty.

Why is it important to find the uncertainty in the motion of a pendulum?

Finding the uncertainty in the motion of a pendulum is important because it allows us to understand the limitations of our measurements and the potential sources of error. By knowing the uncertainty, we can make more accurate and reliable predictions about the pendulum's behavior and use this information in other scientific experiments.

How can we reduce the uncertainty in the motion of a pendulum?

The uncertainty in the motion of a pendulum can be reduced by controlling and minimizing the factors that can affect its period, such as the length of the string, the weight of the pendulum, and the angle of release. Additionally, using more precise measuring tools and techniques can also help to reduce the uncertainty in our measurements.