Finding the velocities of these segments?

• Thread starter chinnie15
  • Start date
In summary, the bacterium E. coli is a single-celled organism found in the gut of humans and animals. When grown in a uniform medium, it swims along zig-zag paths at a constant speed of 20 um/s. The trajectory of an E. coli is represented by segments, with each segment labeled by two letters. To find the velocity of a segment, the direction must be known, which can be found using trigonometric functions.
chinnie15

Homework Statement

The bacterium Escherichia coli (or E. coli) is a single-celled organism that lives in the gut of healthy humans and animals. When grown in a uniform medium rich in salts and amino acids, these bacteria swim along zig-zag paths at a constant speed of 20 um/s. The figure shows the trajectory of an E. coli as it moves from point A to point E. Each segment of the motion can be identified by two letters, such as segment BC.

41257046-00c9-40cf-a045-1cadf947286a.jpg

Homework Equations

Displacement of segment=√(segmentx2+segementy2)
θ=tan-1(segmenty/segmentx)
v=displacement/Δt

The Attempt at a Solution

Because I think my confusion can be cleared with just on portion of this problem, let's use vector AB. Here is the question I am trying to answer: Calculate the x- and y- components of its displacement and of its velocity.

I have ABx=50μm, and ABy=10μm
The displacement is 50.99μm, 11° NE

The problem is finding the velocity, I don't know how to do it in this instance? It doesn't give a time really, just the constant speed of 20μm/s. I can't help but to think that I'm missing something completely obvious, but I just can't figure out what to do?

Thank you for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
hi chinnie15! :smile:

(have a mu: µ :wink:)
chinnie15 said:
Calculate the x- and y- components of its displacement and of its velocity.

The problem is finding the velocity, I don't know how to do it in this instance? It doesn't give a time really, just the constant speed of 20μm/s. I can't help but to think that I'm missing something completely obvious …

yes, you know it's 20, so all you need (to find the components) is the direction :smile:

Hello :smile:

Ooooh, ok. I was completely missing that for some reason, lol. So, is this correct, then? It just seems like there should be more to it?

ABx = 20µm/s*cos(11.3°)=19.6µm/s
ABy= 20µm/s*sin(11.3°)=3.92µm/s

Thank you!

let's see :rolleyes: ……

3.92/19.6 = 1/5, so yes! :smile:

(note that you didn't need to find the angle, you can read the tan straight off the graph, and then find sin and cos using pythagoras! :wink:)

Thank you! :biggrin:

Sorry I'm not great at spotting the obvious. Math and physics is def. not my strongest point, and it doesn't 'click' very well. I just need to get through this physics and the next level, then I'll be done (hopefully, lol). Thank you again for your help!

Wait... I have another question. I'm confused how to find the information for vector BC, since it's a vertical line. I have that the BCx component=0µm, and BCy=10µm. This, however, leaves the direction undefined? I'm assuming this is incorrect, but aren't the components the amount the points have moved in total (displacement), and not their actual location of the grid? Or do I have this wrong?

Last edited:
hi chinnie15! :wink:
chinnie15 said:
… aren't the components the amount the points have moved in total (displacement), and not their actual location of the grid?

yes, (0,10) is the displacement

but the question asks for the velocity, and tells you that its magnitude is 20 …

and it's parallel to (0,10), so it's … ? :smile:

1. How do you find the velocities of segments using scientific methods?

To find the velocities of segments, scientists use a variety of scientific methods such as measuring time and distance, using mathematical equations, and conducting experiments. These methods help to accurately determine the velocity of an object or segment.

2. What is the formula for calculating velocity?

The formula for calculating velocity is velocity = distance / time. This means that the velocity of an object or segment can be determined by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance.

3. Can velocity be negative?

Yes, velocity can be negative. Negative velocity indicates that the object or segment is moving in the opposite direction of the initial direction of motion. It is important to include the direction of motion when reporting velocity.

4. How do you determine the direction of velocity?

The direction of velocity can be determined by using a coordinate system, where positive values indicate motion in one direction and negative values indicate motion in the opposite direction. It can also be determined by the direction of the displacement vector, which is the straight line connecting the initial and final position of the object or segment.

5. Can the velocity of an object or segment change?

Yes, the velocity of an object or segment can change. Velocity is a vector quantity, which means it has both magnitude and direction. Any change in speed or direction will result in a change in velocity. This is why it is important to measure velocity at a specific point in time.