Finding the Velocity of a Mass in Circular Motion

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
barryj
Messages
856
Reaction score
51

Homework Statement


See attached diagram and statement of problem

Homework Equations


Conservation of momentum ...
mv = MV + mv/2
mv/2 = MV
V = mv/(2M)

centripetal force...centripetal force equals weight at top of circle.
MV^2/L = Mg
V^2 = Lg
V = (Lg)^.5

The Attempt at a Solution



Set V = V

mv/(2M) = (Lg)^.5
v = 2M(Lg)^.5/m

The answer is supposed to be v = 4M(Lg)^.5/m
I am off by a factor of 2 where did I go wrong?
 
Attachments
  • img591.jpg
    img591.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 578
Physics news on Phys.org
barryj said:
Set V = V
Won't M slow down as it moves from the bottom to the top?
 
1. What is the speed at the top of the path when the bob just barely makes it?
2. Given you answer in 1, what is the centripetal acceleration?
 
barryj said:
centripetal force...centripetal force equals weight at top of circle.
MV^2/L = Mg
V^2 = Lg
V = (Lg)^.5
This would be valid if the stiff rod were replaced by a string. As @kuruman noted, you need to reconsider what the required speed of M must be in order to barely make it over the top.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: scottdave
I think I see the error. I will fix the error and re post tomorrow.
 
barryj said:

Homework Statement


See attached diagram and statement of problem

Homework Equations


Conservation of momentum ...
mv = MV + mv/2
mv/2 = MV
V = mv/(2M)

centripetal force...centripetal force equals weight at top of circle.
MV^2/L = Mg
V^2 = Lg
V = (Lg)^.5

The Attempt at a Solution



Set V = V

mv/(2M) = (Lg)^.5
v = 2M(Lg)^.5/m

The answer is supposed to be v = 4M(Lg)^.5/m
I am off by a factor of 2 where did I go wrong?
 
Think, is the motion of the bob with a constant centripetal force or variable centripetal force. In all situations energy has to be conserved so why not try it out?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: FactChecker