Finding the Velocity of Light through an Unknown substance

In summary, the problem involves calculating the speed of light in a second medium with an unknown index of refraction, given an incident angle and a known angle. After using the law of reflection to determine the true angles, the index of refraction of the unknown substance was found to be 1.196. However, when plugged into the velocity formula, the incorrect answer was obtained. The error was due to using the incorrect angles in Snell's Law, which was later corrected.
OnceKnown

Homework Statement

32-005.gif

In the above figure, a ray of light is incident upon the interface between two media having indices of refraction n1 = 1.2 and n2, which is unknown. The known angles are f2 = 60° and f3 = 29.9°. (Note that the angles in the diagram may not be accurate.) What is the speed of light in the second medium?

Homework Equations

Snell's Law n[itex]_{1}[/itex]sin θ[itex]_{1}[/itex] = n[itex]_{2}[/itex]sin θ[itex]_{2}[/itex]

And the velocity of light equation:

n = [itex]\frac{c}{v_{n}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the Angles given aren't the "true" angles that are used in Snell's Law

I took each angle and subtract them from 90° to get θ[itex]_{2}[/itex] = 30° and θ[itex]_{3}[/itex] = 60.1°

From there, I calculated that θ[itex]_{1}[/itex] = 29.9°

I took the variables n[itex]_{1}[/itex] = 1.2 and θ[itex]_{1}[/itex] & θ[itex]_{2}[/itex] and plugged them into the Snell's Formula to get n[itex]_{2}[/itex] = 1.196 as the index of refraction of the unknown substance.

I then plugged that calculation into the velocity formula to get 2.5 x 10[itex]^{8}[/itex], but I get that as the wrong answer.

I don't know where I went wrong with this. Thank you for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
OnceKnown said:
I took each angle and subtract them from 90° to get θ[itex]_{2}[/itex] = 30° and θ[itex]_{3}[/itex] = 60.1°

From there, I calculated that θ[itex]_{1}[/itex] = 29.9°

What does the "law of reflection" tell you about θ1 and θ3.

The Law's of reflection would state that θ[itex]_{1}[/itex] = θ[itex]_{3}[/itex]. I then got the angle as 60.1 degrees. I was looking at the picture incorrectly and used the wrong angles that were required for snell's Law. I got it now!

Thanks TSny!

Last edited:

1. What is the process for finding the velocity of light through an unknown substance?

The process involves using a laser to shine light through the unknown substance and measuring the time it takes for the light to pass through. This time, along with the length of the substance, can then be used to calculate the velocity of light through the substance.

2. How is the laser used in this experiment?

The laser is used to produce a beam of light that is directed through the unknown substance. The laser's light is typically monochromatic (single wavelength) and coherent (in-phase), ensuring accurate results.

3. What kind of substance can be used in this experiment?

Any substance that is transparent to light can be used in this experiment. This includes solids, liquids, and gases. However, the substance must be able to maintain its shape and not disperse or absorb the light beam.

4. How does the length of the substance affect the results?

The length of the substance directly affects the time it takes for the light to pass through. The longer the substance, the longer the time it takes for the light to travel through it. This is why it is important to accurately measure the length of the substance in order to calculate the velocity of light.

5. What are the potential sources of error in this experiment?

Potential sources of error include inaccurate measurement of the substance's length, variations in the laser's intensity or wavelength, and external factors such as temperature or air pressure that may affect the speed of light through the substance. It is important to control and minimize these factors in order to obtain accurate results.