1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the Velocity of Light through an Unknown substance

1. Mar 9, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

32-005.gif
    In the above figure, a ray of light is incident upon the interface between two media having indices of refraction n1 = 1.2 and n2, which is unknown. The known angles are f2 = 60° and f3 = 29.9°. (Note that the angles in the diagram may not be accurate.) What is the speed of light in the second medium?

2. Relevant equations
    Snell's Law n[itex]_{1}[/itex]sin θ[itex]_{1}[/itex] = n[itex]_{2}[/itex]sin θ[itex]_{2}[/itex]

And the velocity of light equation:

n = [itex]\frac{c}{v_{n}}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since the Angles given aren't the "true" angles that are used in Snell's Law

I took each angle and subtract them from 90° to get θ[itex]_{2}[/itex] = 30° and θ[itex]_{3}[/itex] = 60.1°

From there, I calculated that θ[itex]_{1}[/itex] = 29.9°

I took the variables n[itex]_{1}[/itex] = 1.2 and θ[itex]_{1}[/itex] & θ[itex]_{2}[/itex] and plugged them into the Snell's Formula to get n[itex]_{2}[/itex] = 1.196 as the index of refraction of the unknown substance.

I then plugged that calculation into the velocity formula to get 2.5 x 10[itex]^{8}[/itex], but I get that as the wrong answer.

I don't know where I went wrong with this. Thank you for your help!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What does the "law of reflection" tell you about θ1 and θ3.

4. Mar 10, 2013 #3
    The Law's of reflection would state that θ[itex]_{1}[/itex] = θ[itex]_{3}[/itex]. I then got the angle as 60.1 degrees. I was looking at the picture incorrectly and used the wrong angles that were required for snell's Law. I got it now!

Thanks TSny!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted