Finding Voltage in Loop Circuits: Solution Verification

• Thread starter ravenprp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Voltage
In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit problem with two loops and two mesh currents, with both currents flowing in the clockwise direction. The solution involves multiplying one of the mesh currents with a 12kOhm resistor to find the value of V0. Both parties agreed that the answer should be -2.38, with a slight difference in the decimal point.
ravenprp

Homework Statement

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/2585/74785719qc4.jpg

Loop 1 is the far left loop with mesh current i_1. Loop 2 is the right one with mesh current i_2. BOTH CURRENTS ARE GOING IN THE CW direction.

The Attempt at a Solution

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/8002/50402522dx3.png

This got cut off while scanning... but I multiplied i_2 with 12kOhms to get my V0.

Heres my work. Can you verify if this is correct, I am having doubts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah it's correct.

Are you sure? My online system said it was incorrect. I came to have (- .198) * 12 = -2.37

I tried both +2.37 and -2.37, and it said it was incorrect.

I don't see any mistakes on your part. But I got a slightly different answer in v0 = (-0.19853)*12 = -2.3824A.

Heh, so little makes a difference :)

-2.38 it is...

FAQ: Finding Voltage in Loop Circuits: Solution Verification

1. How do you calculate voltage in a loop circuit?

In order to calculate voltage in a loop circuit, you need to use Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL). This law states that the algebraic sum of all the voltages around a closed loop must equal zero. This means that the sum of all the voltage drops must be equal to the sum of all the voltage rises in the loop.

2. What is the purpose of verifying the solution for voltage in loop circuits?

The purpose of verifying the solution for voltage in loop circuits is to ensure that the calculations are correct and to check for any errors or mistakes. It also helps to confirm that the solution aligns with the physical properties of the circuit.

3. What are the common mistakes to avoid when finding voltage in loop circuits?

Some common mistakes to avoid when finding voltage in loop circuits include not properly labeling the polarities of the voltage drops, not considering all the voltage sources in the loop, and not accounting for the direction of the current flow.

4. How can you check if the solution for voltage in loop circuits is correct?

One way to check the solution for voltage in loop circuits is to redraw the circuit and calculate the voltage drops again. Another method is to use a circuit simulator to compare the results. Additionally, you can measure the voltage using a multimeter to confirm the solution.

5. Can the solution for voltage in loop circuits be different for different methods?

No, the solution for voltage in loop circuits should be the same regardless of the method used to calculate it. If there are discrepancies, it could indicate a mistake in the calculations or an error in the circuit itself.