Finding the volume using cylindrical coordinates

In summary, the formula for finding the volume using cylindrical coordinates is V = πr<sup>2</sup>h, where r is the radius of the cylinder and h is the height. To convert from Cartesian coordinates (x, y, z) to cylindrical coordinates (r, θ, z), use the equations r = &radic;(x<sup>2</sup> + y<sup>2</sup>), θ = tan<sup>-1</sup>(y/x), and z = z. The volume of a non-cylindrical object cannot be found using cylindrical coordinates, as the formula only applies to cylindrical objects. Negative values can be used for the radius and height in the formula, but
Ki-nana18

Homework Statement

Use cylindrical coordinates to find (a) the volume and (b) the centroid of the solid S bounded above by the plane z=y and below by the paraboloid z=x2+y2.

Homework Equations

V= ∫∫∫dv
x= r cos θ, y=sin θ, z=z

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first integral I got that the limits are from r2 to r sin θ, then I integrated with respect to z, but after that I don't know where "r" begins and ends how do I find the interval?

Physics news on Phys.org
May I have some help on this?

Related to Finding the volume using cylindrical coordinates

1. What is the formula for finding the volume using cylindrical coordinates?

The formula for finding the volume using cylindrical coordinates is V = πr2h, where r is the radius of the cylinder and h is the height.

2. How do you convert from Cartesian coordinates to cylindrical coordinates?

To convert from Cartesian coordinates (x, y, z) to cylindrical coordinates (r, θ, z), use the following equations:
r = √(x2 + y2)
θ = tan-1(y/x)
z = z

3. Can the volume of a non-cylindrical object be found using cylindrical coordinates?

No, the formula for finding the volume using cylindrical coordinates only applies to cylindrical objects. For non-cylindrical objects, another method, such as integration, must be used to find the volume.

4. Can negative values be used for the radius or height in the formula for finding the volume using cylindrical coordinates?

Yes, the formula allows for negative values for the radius and height. However, the volume will always be a positive value.

5. How is the volume of a hollow cylinder calculated using cylindrical coordinates?

The volume of a hollow cylinder can be calculated by subtracting the volume of the inner cylinder from the volume of the outer cylinder. This can be represented by the formula V = π(R2 - r2)h, where R is the outer radius, r is the inner radius, and h is the height.