Finding the work done on a cutting tool

In summary: For the second one,is the first integral -2.7*0*dx from 0-2.95? and then the second one...since it is dy, then I could do -2.7*x*2y*dy from 0 to 2.95?in summary, Homework Statement In summary, the first part of the homework asks for the work done by a force if the tool is displaced from the origin to a certain point, x=2.95m, y=2.95m. The second part asks for the work done by the force if the tool is first displaced from the origin to the point x=2.95
physicsquestion

Homework Statement

A cutting tool under microprocessor control has several forces acting on it. One force is F⃗ =−αxy2j^, a force in the negative y-direction whose magnitude depends on the position of the tool. The constant is α = 2.70N/m3 . Consider the displacement of the tool from the origin to the point x= 2.95m , y= 2.95m .

Part A
Calculate the work done on the tool by F⃗ if this displacement is along the straight line y=x that connects these two points.

Part B
Calculate the work done on the tool by F⃗ if the tool is first moved out along the x-axis to the point x= 2.95m , y=0 and then moved parallel to the y-axis to x= 2.95m , y= 2.95m .

The Attempt at a Solution

So I was simply trying to use the W=force*distance, and I tried to use the vector equation for force by plugging in the coordinate that it would end up at and then for distance I used the distance from the origin to the point (2.95, 2.95) for the first part, and then I broke Part B into two parts, calculating work from origin to (2.95, 0) and then work from there to (2.95, 2.95).

It didn't work, and it is due by 11:59 PM. I am really confused. (Please, if you use calculus in your replies, please explain in detail. My calculus is very weak right now...)

Physics news on Phys.org
Please post your working. It is hard to say where you went wrong from merely an outline of what you did.
Also, this is very much an international forum. I don't know what time zone you are in.

Hello

I am in the Eastern Time Zone by the way, so about 51 minutes left (!)

For the first one, I took W=F*D and took F⃗ =−αxy^2 j-hat, plugged in α=2.70, x=2.95, y=2.95, and then multiplied that by the sqrt(2*2.95^2). I got -289.

For the second one, I did the same thing but in two parts. The first part I plugged in α=2.70, x=2.95, y=0, and then multiplied that by 2.95. Then I added the product of the next part, which I plugged in α=2.70, x=2.95, y=2.95, and multiplied that by 2.95.

The homework system tells me I am wrong. Please correct me.

physicsquestion said:
Hello

For the first one, I took W=F*D and took F⃗ =−αxy^2 j-hat, plugged in α=2.70, x=2.95, y=2.95, and then multiplied that by the sqrt(2*2.95^2). I got -289.
Substituting those coordinates in the expression for F gives you the force at those coordinates. You need to integrate the force along the path to those coordinates.

I do not know how to integrate the force along the path...Could you explain in detail?

physicsquestion said:
I do not know how to integrate the force along the path...Could you explain in detail?
Suppose you move a distance dx in the x direction. To stay on that path you must also move dx in the y direction. Express that as a vector. The work done by the force is the dot product of F with that vector. Compute that dot product and integrate over the range of x.

Please look at my math

Could I write it as the integral from 0 to 2.95 of (-2.7*x*y^2) dx?

Or would it be the integral of -2.7*y^2*dx from 0 to 2.95?

physicsquestion said:
Please look at my math

Could I write it as the integral from 0 to 2.95 of (-2.7*x*y^2) dx?
In the OP you wrote ##\alpha xy2\hat j##. I gues that meant y2. If so, yes, but remember that y is a known function of x along this path.

I do not know what you mean by y being a known function of x. Was my first integral correct, and then if I plug in the value of that integral into the W=F*D equation, then it works?

physicsquestion said:
I do not know what you mean by y being a known function of x.
What does it tell you about the path in part A?

OH

so y=x. Then for my final integral, it is the integral of x^3 dx from 0 to 2.95? (I may have that completely wrong.)

physicsquestion said:
OH

so y=x. Then for my final integral, it is the integral of x^3 dx from 0 to 2.95? (I may have that completely wrong.)
Yes, not forgetting alpha.

So it would be the integral of -2.7x^3 dx from 0 to 2.95

Then for part B,

is the first integral -2.7*0*dx from 0-2.95? and then the second one...since it is dy, then I could do -2.7*x*2y*dy from 0 to 2.95?

physicsquestion said:
Then for part B,

is the first integral -2.7*0*dx from 0-2.95? and then the second one...since it is dy, then I could do -2.7*x*2y*dy from 0 to 2.95?
I don't understand the 2y. What happened to y2?

I thought since it was dy, I would not so anything to the x, but the change would happen to the y part, unless I was supposed to change it to (1/3) y^3? My calculus is really rusty

I calculated the integral for the first part and got -51.12, and then multiplied that by the sqrt(2*(2.95^2)) and got -213.3. It is still wrong. I do not know what to do.

physicsquestion said:
I thought since it was dy, I would not so anything to the x, but the change would happen to the y part, unless I was supposed to change it to (1/3) y^3? My calculus is really rusty
For this part of the question, it's the same algebraic form of F, but as you move up from y=0 to the finishing point x is constant. So, yes, you should get y3/3 in the result.

Okay then. But for part A, was the answer that I got in joules? Am I supposed to do another calculation to get joules?

physicsquestion said:
I calculated the integral for the first part and got -51.12, and then multiplied that by the sqrt(2*(2.95^2))
Why did you multiply it by anything? What quantity do you think the result of the integration is giving you?

I thought that it was giving me F that I would plug into the W = F*D. I am supposed to give W in terms of joules

physicsquestion said:
I thought that it was giving me F that I would plug into the W = F*D. I am supposed to give W in terms of joules
You need to put aside W=F*D. That is for constant force in the same direction as the displacement. With variable forces we have to use the integral version, ##W=\int F.dx##. And since they're not necessarily in the same direction, F and dx there are vectors, and the dot means dot product. That is the integral you performed. Job done. And yes, it's Joules.

I got the first part! three minutes left

I took the integral of -2.7*2.95*(1/3)y^3 from 0 to 2.95 and I got that wrong. I figured the first part gives me 0, so I didn't do anything with it

physicsquestion said:
I got the first part! three minutes left

I took the integral of -2.7*2.95*(1/3)y^3 from 0 to 2.95 and I got that wrong. I figured the first part gives me 0, so I didn't do anything with it
You took the integral of that? Don't you mean that was the result of integrating?

Time is up, and I have to do move on to other things. Thank you for helping me. I will go over it again soon!

What is the definition of work done on a cutting tool?

The work done on a cutting tool refers to the amount of energy required to cut through a material, which is measured in units of force multiplied by distance.

How is the work done on a cutting tool calculated?

The work done on a cutting tool is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the tool by the distance the tool moves through the material being cut.

What factors affect the amount of work done on a cutting tool?

The amount of work done on a cutting tool can be affected by the hardness and thickness of the material being cut, the sharpness and geometry of the cutting tool, and the speed and pressure at which the tool is applied.

Why is it important to measure the work done on a cutting tool?

Measuring the work done on a cutting tool can help determine the efficiency and effectiveness of the cutting process, as well as identify any potential issues or areas for improvement.

What are some common methods for measuring the work done on a cutting tool?

Some common methods for measuring the work done on a cutting tool include using force sensors and displacement sensors on the cutting machine, analyzing the chips produced during cutting, and performing wear tests on the cutting tool after use.