Finding thickness of paper based on rate of change of radius and constant speed

In summary, the thickness of the paper is dependent on the rate of change of the radius. You can calculate the thickness by equating changes in volume.
Jaboska
I need find the thickness of a piece of paper based on the known linear speed of the paper coming off the roll and the change in diameter of the roll.

I have the ability to see the linear speed. It is consistant but changes from roll to roll. I know the starting radius, instantaneous radius and ending radius. The thickness of the paper is consistant but changes from roll to roll.

The application for this is stopping the roll of paper with only a 1/4 of an inch left on it with a starting radius of about 24 in and a constant speed varring between 70 to 300 m/min.

I already have the formulas to calculate when to begin deceleration, but I need know the thickness of the paper based only of the rate of change of the radius.

Thank you for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
Does the speed vary only when the roll changes, or does it vary also on the same roll?

Jaboska said:
I already have the formulas to calculate when to begin deceleration, but I need know the thickness of the paper based only of the rate of change of the radius.
You can do it by equating changes in volume. The rate the volume is leaving, for an instantaneous radius r, is d/dt of pi*r2*w, where w is the (irrelevant) width of the paper. The rate the volume is coming off is w*x*v, where v is the speed and x is what you want. So we have:
pi*dr2/dt = v*x.
All you need to know is the ratio of dr2/dt over v, at any given time, and you can infer x. If you can't measure dr2/dt instantaneously, you have to infer it over a finite time, like delta r2 over delta t, and that will be right because it doesn't change if v and x are constant.

1. How do I determine the rate of change of radius?

The rate of change of radius can be calculated by measuring the change in radius over a specific time interval. Divide the change in radius by the time interval to get the rate of change.

2. What is the constant speed in this equation?

The constant speed in this equation refers to the rate at which the radius of the paper is changing. It remains the same throughout the experiment.

3. What units should I use for the radius and time measurements?

The units for radius and time measurements can vary, but it is important to use consistent units for accurate calculations. Common units for radius include millimeters, centimeters, or inches, and common units for time include seconds, minutes, or hours.

4. Can this method be used for any type of paper?

Yes, this method can be used for any type of paper as long as the measurements are taken accurately. However, the rate of change of radius may vary depending on the thickness and density of the paper.

5. How many data points should I collect for accurate results?

The more data points you collect, the more accurate your results will be. It is recommended to collect at least 5-10 measurements of the radius at different time intervals to get a good understanding of the rate of change.