Finding the Eigenstate for Harmonic Oscillator?

• Thread starter unscientific
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eigenstate
In summary: I guess it is not obvious really. But I think in these kinds of problems, you can assume that if they give you a set of states, those states will be orthonormal. (unless they say...something different).
unscientific

Homework Statement

Given the a|n> = α|n-1>, show that α = √n :

wa1pjt.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]<n|a^{+}\hat {a}|n> = \alpha <n|a^{+}|n-1> = | \hat a|n>|^2 [/tex]

[tex] \alpha = \frac{<n|a^{+}\hat {a}|n>}{<n|a^{+}|n-1>}[/tex]

Taking the complex conjugate of both sides:

[tex] \alpha* = \frac{<n|a^{+}\hat {a}|n>}{\alpha<n-1|n-1>} [/tex]
[tex] |\alpha^2| = \frac{<n|a^{+}\hat {a}|n>}{<n-1|n-1>} [/tex]

Where ##\hat {a} a^{+} = \frac{1}{2m\omega} \left( (m\omega x)^2 + p^2 + im\omega [\hat{x},\hat{p}] \right) ##

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
nice work. I think you're getting there. although remember that ##\alpha## isn't necessarily real, so when you took the complex conjugate of both sides, you should also take complex conjugate of ##\alpha##. For the final equation you wrote down, I think that is the right idea. But it's definitely missing some ##\hbar## and the square root should not still be there. it's just a minor mistake.

BruceW said:
nice work. I think you're getting there. although remember that ##\alpha## isn't necessarily real, so when you took the complex conjugate of both sides, you should also take complex conjugate of ##\alpha##. For the final equation you wrote down, I think that is the right idea. But it's definitely missing some ##\hbar## and the square root should not still be there. it's just a minor mistake.

The problem is, I have no idea how to proceed now..

once you've fixed the minor mistake, you have the operator ##aa^\dagger##. what other operator does this operator look like? hint: the physical model of this system is simple harmonic motion.

BruceW said:
once you've fixed the minor mistake, you have the operator ##aa^\dagger##. what other operator does this operator look like? hint: the physical model of this system is simple harmonic motion.

Okay, The square root has gone away, due to it appearing twice from a and a+ and I've fixed the square term in the bracket.

BruceW said:

USing ##[\hat x,\hat p] = i\hbar##

[tex]\hat a a^{+} = \frac{\hat H}{\hbar \omega} - \frac{1}{2} [/tex]

[tex] |\alpha^2| = \frac{<n| \frac{\hat H}{\hbar \omega} - \frac{1}{2}|n>}{<n-1|n-1>}[/tex]

How do I proceed from here?

hmm. wait hold on, since they ask you to consider ##|\hat{a}|n\rangle |^2## I think you should use the operator that you were originally working with, ##\hat{a}^\dagger \hat{a}##

edit: sorry about that, the rest of your working looks good. you've got the right idea.

BruceW said:
hmm. wait hold on, since they ask you to consider ##|\hat{a}|n\rangle |^2## I think you should use the operator that you were originally working with, ##\hat{a}^\dagger \hat{a}##

edit: sorry about that, the rest of your working looks good. you've got the right idea.

How do I evaluate the inner product:

[tex] |\alpha^2| = \frac{<n| \frac{\hat H}{\hbar \omega} - \frac{1}{2}|n>}{<n-1|n-1>} = \frac{<n|a^{+}\hat {a}|n>}{<n-1|n-1>}[/tex]It should give ##n## on the RHS.

you're almost there now. In the question, they tell you ##E_n = (n+1/2)\hbar \omega## they mean this is the energy of the ##|n\rangle## eigenstate. so this should be enough to evaluate that inner product.

BruceW said:
you're almost there now. In the question, they tell you ##E_n = (n+1/2)\hbar \omega## they mean this is the energy of the ##|n\rangle## eigenstate. so this should be enough to evaluate that inner product.
How do I evaluate the numerator?

[tex] <n| \frac{\hat H}{\hbar \omega} - \frac{1}{2}|n> [/tex]
[tex]= \frac{1}{\hbar \omega} <n|\hat H|n> - \frac{1}{2}<n|n> [/tex]
[tex]= \frac{1}{\hbar \omega} <n|\hat H|n> - \frac{1}{2}<n|n> [/tex]
[tex] = \frac{E_n}{\hbar \omega}<n|n> - \frac{1}{2}<n|n>[/tex]
[tex] = \left (\frac{E_n}{\hbar \omega} - \frac{1}{2} \right) <n|n>[/tex]

Thus,
[tex]|\alpha|^2 = \left (\frac{E_n}{\hbar \omega} - \frac{1}{2} \right)\frac{ <n|n>}{<n-1|n-1>} [/tex]
[tex] |\alpha|^2 = n \frac{ <n|n>}{<n-1|n-1>} [/tex]

Last edited:
yep. that is good so far for the numerator. But the denominator is not (n-1)2. each of the ##|n\rangle## are states, right? so what (conventionally), is the inner product of the state with itself?

edit: and now, there is a similar question for what is left over in the numerator.

BruceW said:
yep. that is good so far for the numerator. But the denominator is not (n-1)2. each of the ##|n\rangle## are states, right? so what (conventionally), is the inner product of the state with itself?

edit: and now, there is a similar question for what is left over in the numerator.

Can I assume they are linearly independent, and have norm = 1?

yeah! I guess it is not obvious really. But I think in these kinds of problems, you can assume that if they give you a set of states, those states will be orthonormal. (unless they say otherwise).

Likes 1 person

What is an eigenstate?

An eigenstate is a state of a system that is described by a single quantum number. It represents a measurable physical quantity, such as energy or angular momentum, of the system.

Why is finding an eigenstate important?

Finding an eigenstate is important because it allows us to accurately describe and predict the behavior of a quantum system. It also allows us to calculate the probabilities of different outcomes when measuring the system.

How do you determine the eigenstate of a system?

The eigenstate of a system can be determined by solving the Schrödinger equation, which describes the time evolution of a quantum system. The resulting wave function represents the eigenstate of the system.

What is the significance of eigenstates in quantum mechanics?

Eigenstates play a central role in quantum mechanics as they represent the stable, stationary states of a system. They are also used to construct the complete description of a quantum system in terms of its observable properties.

Can there be multiple eigenstates for a single quantum system?

Yes, a quantum system can have multiple eigenstates. In fact, most systems have infinitely many eigenstates, each with a different energy or other quantum number. This allows for a wide range of possible outcomes when measuring the system.