1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding this eigenstate

1. Jan 21, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given the a|n> = α|n-1>, show that α = √n :

wa1pjt.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]<n|a^{+}\hat {a}|n> = \alpha <n|a^{+}|n-1> = | \hat a|n>|^2 [/tex]

[tex] \alpha = \frac{<n|a^{+}\hat {a}|n>}{<n|a^{+}|n-1>}[/tex]

Taking the complex conjugate of both sides:

[tex] \alpha* = \frac{<n|a^{+}\hat {a}|n>}{\alpha<n-1|n-1>} [/tex]
    [tex] |\alpha^2| = \frac{<n|a^{+}\hat {a}|n>}{<n-1|n-1>} [/tex]

Where ##\hat {a} a^{+} = \frac{1}{2m\omega} \left( (m\omega x)^2 + p^2 + im\omega [\hat{x},\hat{p}] \right) ##

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2014 #2

BruceW

Homework Helper

nice work. I think you're getting there. although remember that ##\alpha## isn't necessarily real, so when you took the complex conjugate of both sides, you should also take complex conjugate of ##\alpha##. For the final equation you wrote down, I think that is the right idea. But it's definitely missing some ##\hbar## and the square root should not still be there. it's just a minor mistake.

4. Jan 21, 2014 #3
    The problem is, I have no idea how to proceed now..

5. Jan 21, 2014 #4

BruceW

Homework Helper

once you've fixed the minor mistake, you have the operator ##aa^\dagger##. what other operator does this operator look like? hint: the physical model of this system is simple harmonic motion.

6. Jan 21, 2014 #5
    Okay, The square root has gone away, due to it appearing twice from a and a+ and i've fixed the square term in the bracket.

7. Jan 21, 2014 #6
    USing ##[\hat x,\hat p] = i\hbar##

[tex]\hat a a^{+} = \frac{\hat H}{\hbar \omega} - \frac{1}{2} [/tex]

[tex] |\alpha^2| = \frac{<n| \frac{\hat H}{\hbar \omega} - \frac{1}{2}|n>}{<n-1|n-1>}[/tex]

How do I proceed from here?

8. Jan 21, 2014 #7

BruceW

Homework Helper

hmm. wait hold on, since they ask you to consider ##|\hat{a}|n\rangle |^2## I think you should use the operator that you were originally working with, ##\hat{a}^\dagger \hat{a}##

edit: sorry about that, the rest of your working looks good. you've got the right idea.

9. Jan 21, 2014 #8
    How do I evaluate the inner product:

[tex] |\alpha^2| = \frac{<n| \frac{\hat H}{\hbar \omega} - \frac{1}{2}|n>}{<n-1|n-1>} = \frac{<n|a^{+}\hat {a}|n>}{<n-1|n-1>}[/tex]

It should give ##n## on the RHS.

10. Jan 21, 2014 #9

BruceW

Homework Helper

you're almost there now. In the question, they tell you ##E_n = (n+1/2)\hbar \omega## they mean this is the energy of the ##|n\rangle## eigenstate. so this should be enough to evaluate that inner product.

11. Jan 21, 2014 #10

How do I evaluate the numerator?

[tex] <n| \frac{\hat H}{\hbar \omega} - \frac{1}{2}|n> [/tex]
    [tex]= \frac{1}{\hbar \omega} <n|\hat H|n> - \frac{1}{2}<n|n> [/tex]
    [tex]= \frac{1}{\hbar \omega} <n|\hat H|n> - \frac{1}{2}<n|n> [/tex]
    [tex] = \frac{E_n}{\hbar \omega}<n|n> - \frac{1}{2}<n|n>[/tex]
    [tex] = \left (\frac{E_n}{\hbar \omega} - \frac{1}{2} \right) <n|n>[/tex]

Thus,
    [tex]|\alpha|^2 = \left (\frac{E_n}{\hbar \omega} - \frac{1}{2} \right)\frac{ <n|n>}{<n-1|n-1>} [/tex]
    [tex] |\alpha|^2 = n \frac{ <n|n>}{<n-1|n-1>} [/tex]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  12. Jan 21, 2014 #11

BruceW

Homework Helper

yep. that is good so far for the numerator. But the denominator is not (n-1)2. each of the ##|n\rangle## are states, right? so what (conventionally), is the inner product of the state with itself?

edit: and now, there is a similar question for what is left over in the numerator.

13. Jan 21, 2014 #12
    Can I assume they are linearly independent, and have norm = 1?

14. Jan 21, 2014 #13

BruceW

Homework Helper

yeah! I guess it is not obvious really. But I think in these kinds of problems, you can assume that if they give you a set of states, those states will be orthonormal. (unless they say otherwise).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted