Finding time of a collision using impulse and conservation of momentum

In summary, the problem of finding the duration of a collision can be solved using kinematics equations and constant acceleration, but attempting to use impulse without knowing the force acting on the object will lead to incorrect results. Impulse is defined as the change in momentum, and using average velocities instead of instantaneous velocities will result in an incorrect answer.
Kaon

Homework Statement

The front of a 1400 kg car is designed to absorb the shock of a collision by having a "crumple zone" in which the front 1.20 m of the car collapses in absorbing the shock of a collision.

(a) If a car traveling 25.0 m/s stops uniformly in 1.20 m, how long does the collision last?
answer in s

NOTE: I know this is not part of the template, but I needed to put it in somewhere. I realize this problem can be easily solved using kinematics equations and constant acceleration, but I'm trying to figure out why using the impulse doesn't work. See attempt section for more.

Homework Equations

vf = vi + at
vf2 = vi2 + 2ax
I= m[tex]\Delta[/tex]v
I= m(vf) - m(vi)

The Attempt at a Solution

CORRECT ANSWER:
0= 25 + at
0= 252 + 2ax
a = -252/2ax = -260.4 m/s2
t = -25/a = 0.096 s

TRIAL USING IMPULSE:
I = 0 - m(25) = -35 000
I = m[tex]\Delta[/tex]x/[tex]\Delta[/tex]t *I realize this may be where the problem lies
1.2m/-35 000 = t
t = 0.048 s *I also notice that this is exactly 1/2 of the right answer

Physics news on Phys.org
The thing is that there isn't much point in trying to use impulse for this problem. If you knew the force acting on the object as well as its starting velocity, impulse would be the way to go. Without knowing the force though, you would have to find it with kinematics, at which point you might as well also just use kinematics to correctly solve the problem.

Also, yes, the problem you had in your trial was doing
I = m∆x/∆t
Impulse is defined as
I= ∆p = m∆v = m(v2-v1)
where v2 and v1 are instantaneous velocities at particular times. You used an average velocity with ∆x/∆t.

Thanks, I think I understand. I somewhat knew that I was working in circles, but not knowing why I couldn't get the answer was bugging me to no end.

Related to Finding time of a collision using impulse and conservation of momentum

1. How do you use impulse and conservation of momentum to find the time of a collision?

To find the time of a collision using impulse and conservation of momentum, you will first need to determine the initial and final velocities of the objects involved in the collision. Then, you can use the equation p = mv, where p is the momentum of an object, m is its mass, and v is its velocity. By equating the initial and final momenta of the objects involved, you can solve for the time of the collision.

2. What is impulse and how is it related to the time of a collision?

Impulse is defined as the change in momentum of an object over a specific period of time. In the context of a collision, impulse is the force applied to an object multiplied by the time it is applied. The greater the impulse, the shorter the time of the collision will be.

3. Can impulse and conservation of momentum be used for all types of collisions?

Yes, impulse and conservation of momentum can be used for all types of collisions, including elastic and inelastic collisions. However, the equations and calculations may differ depending on the type of collision.

4. How does the mass of an object affect the time of a collision?

The mass of an object does not directly affect the time of a collision. However, it does affect the momentum of the object. Objects with larger masses will have greater momentum, and therefore, will require a larger impulse to change their velocity in a given amount of time.

5. What are the limitations of using impulse and conservation of momentum to find the time of a collision?

One limitation is that this method assumes that the collision is happening in a vacuum, with no external forces acting on the objects. Additionally, it assumes that the collision is happening in a straight line and that the objects involved are rigid bodies. In real-world scenarios, these assumptions may not hold true, leading to inaccuracies in the calculated time of the collision.