Finding upper and lower limits of a graph

In summary, the speaker is asking for help finding upper and lower limits that would enclose 80% of the data points on a graph. They have considered using Chebycheff's Inequality, but have encountered issues with negative values for the lower limit. The data being worked with is confidential.
Aki

Homework Statement

This is not really a homework problem, but it looks like a rather easy problem that I can't quite figure out.

So I have a graph like shown in the attachment: a quantity vs time graph with some data points. I had no problem finding the average, but now I want to find both an upper and lower limits that would enclose 80% of the data points (so like what I have drawn in the graph). My question is: how can I do that using a simple program like Excel?

Homework Equations

I tried applying Chebycheff's Inequality
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_deviation"

For 80% of the data points, I found the number of standard deviations from the average would be SquareRoot 5. So (SquareRoot 5 * Standard Deviation)/2 , and then add and subtract that from the average to find the limits.

The Attempt at a Solution

Chebycheff's Inequality worked for most graphs. However, for some graphs, I would get a negative value for the lower limit and that's not what I want to see.

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• graph.JPG
    graph.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 1,779
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Chebycheff's Inequality will give difference from the mean. Since here the mean is 80 I don't think you are in any danger of getting a negative lower limit!

HallsofIvy said:
Chebycheff's Inequality will give difference from the mean. Since here the mean is 80 I don't think you are in any danger of getting a negative lower limit!

well I just made up that graph. I can't show the data that I'm working with because it's confidential. Anyhow, there are graphs where if I apply the Chebycheff's Inequality, I get a negative value for the lower limit.

Related to Finding upper and lower limits of a graph

1. What are upper and lower limits in a graph?

Upper and lower limits in a graph refer to the highest and lowest values represented on the vertical axis, also known as the y-axis. These values are determined by the data points plotted on the graph and can provide important information about the range and variability of the data.

2. How do I find the upper and lower limits of a graph?

You can find the upper and lower limits of a graph by examining the data points on the y-axis. The highest data point represents the upper limit, while the lowest data point represents the lower limit. If there are no data points at the exact upper or lower limits, you can estimate them based on the data points closest to those values.

3. What do the upper and lower limits tell us about the data?

The upper and lower limits provide important information about the range and variability of the data. A large difference between the upper and lower limits indicates a wide range of values, while a small difference indicates a narrow range. Additionally, the location of the upper and lower limits can help identify any outliers or extreme values in the data set.

4. Can upper and lower limits change over time?

Yes, upper and lower limits can change over time if new data is added to the graph. This is especially true for dynamic data sets that are constantly being updated. It is important to regularly check the upper and lower limits to ensure they accurately represent the data and adjust them if necessary.

5. Is it possible for a graph to have no upper or lower limit?

Yes, it is possible for a graph to have no upper or lower limit if the data points are all clustered together and do not show a clear trend or range. In this case, it may be more appropriate to use a different type of graph, such as a bar graph or box plot, to represent the data.