Finding V_o and i_o for an Ideal Op Amp Circuit with Multiple Unknowns

• Thread starter Rozenwyn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Amp Op amp
In summary, the conversation discusses finding V_o and i_o in a circuit with an ideal op amp. The virtual short principle is mentioned, and it is determined that v2 = -2V due to the non-inverting terminal being at -2V. However, there is some confusion with the labeling in the diagram, as the ground is at -10V and not 0V. Once this is corrected, it is determined that v0 = v2 and the problem is solved.
Rozenwyn
Find [tex]V_o[/tex] and [tex]i_o[/tex]. Assume an ideal op amp.

http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/2426/633bb0.jpg

I tried applying KCL at v1 and v2 nodes but then got stuck because I had 2 equations with 3 unknowns.

[tex]\frac{12-v_1}{4} = \frac{v_1-v_2}{8}[/tex] and

[tex]\frac{v_1-v_2}{8}+\frac{-10-v_2}{20}= i_o[/tex]

Where [tex]i_o[/tex] is the output current of the op amp and not the current flowing thru the 8 Ohm resistor ? I missed a few lectures on Op Amps and now I am trying to catch up from the book but I am having a hard time with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that an op-amp actively drives its output so as to make its inputs equal. This results in what is known as the virtual short principle, which essentially just says that the two inputs of an op-amp are always at the same potential. The non-inverting terminal is obviously at -2V, so v1 is also at -2V.

- Warren

Ok I took [tex]v_2 = -2[/tex] and did the calculations but I still don't get the right answers.
The answers given in the textbook are [tex]v_o = -30V[/tex] and [tex]i_o=3.5mA[/tex]

Here are my calculations:

[tex]\frac{12-^-2}{4}= \frac{-2-v_2}{8} \ \longrightarrow 28 = -2-v_2 \ \longrightarrow v_2 = -30V[/tex]

[tex]\frac{-2-^-30}{8} + \frac{-10-^-30}{8} = i_o \ \longrightarrow i_o = \frac{28+8}{8} = 4 mA[/tex]

From these [tex]v_o = v_2 - v_1 = -30 -^-10= -20V[/tex].

These are wrong. However if we take the [tex]i_o[/tex] to be the current between nodes v2 and v1 then; [tex]\frac{-2-^-30}{8} = \frac{28}{8} = 3.5mA[/tex]. This is rigth but [tex]v_o[/tex] is still wrong?

Why is v2 = -2V? Why is the voltage of the node at the bottom-right -10V? And how is v0 = v2-v1?

Look at where V0 is. In this case V0 = V2

I'm a bit confused as to why there is a -10V at the bottom since there's a ground there.

Also you really don't want to use the node at V2, cause you also need to account for the current coming out of the op amp. I believe there is one coming out, but someone correct me on that. Been awhile since i did some circuits.

Last edited:
Sorry, I guess the node labelled "ground" is actually at -10V, therefore the voltage at the noninverting input of the op-amp is -12V, and thus v2 = -12V too.

The ground symbol should really not be used to mean anything other than 0V though, so I consider this to be an abuse of notation.

- Warren

You can't have ground at -10V and then have the node at the top-left be +12V. I think the poster have to reexamine the labels she/he attached to the circuit.

chroot said:
Sorry, I guess the node labelled "ground" is actually at -10V, therefore the voltage at the noninverting input of the op-amp is -12V, and thus v2 = -12V too.
I think you meant v1 = -12V and not v2 = -12V.

doodle said:
You can't have ground at -10V and then have the node at the top-left be +12V. I think the poster have to reexamine the labels she/he attached to the circuit.

Indeed, I didn't notice that. The diagram doesn't make sense.

I think you meant v1 = -12V and not v2 = -12V.

Sorry, yes, that's what I meant.

- Warren

Oh it's my bad. I disregarded ground for a minute and thought the Voltage Sources would create a potential of -10V over there. ( -12 + 2 V ). Meh.
Then as technodude says, v0 = v2 and the problem is solved. Thanks all. Sorry to confuse you with a bad diagram.

Related to Finding V_o and i_o for an Ideal Op Amp Circuit with Multiple Unknowns

1. What is an ideal op amp?

An ideal op amp is a type of electronic amplifier that has infinite gain, infinite bandwidth, infinite input impedance, and zero output impedance. It also has an infinite common-mode rejection ratio, meaning it can reject any signals that are common to both inputs.

2. How do you find the output voltage (Vo) of an ideal op amp?

To find the output voltage of an ideal op amp, you can use the formula Vo = A*(Vp - Vn), where A is the open-loop gain and Vp and Vn are the input voltages at the non-inverting and inverting inputs, respectively.

3. How do you find the output current (io) of an ideal op amp?

An ideal op amp has infinite input impedance, meaning no current flows into its inputs. Therefore, the output current (io) is equal to zero.

4. What is the difference between an ideal op amp and a real op amp?

An ideal op amp has infinite gain, bandwidth, and input impedance, which are not achievable in real-world op amps. Real op amps also have finite output impedance and a limited common-mode rejection ratio. Additionally, real op amps may have other non-ideal characteristics such as offset voltage and bias current.

5. Can an ideal op amp be used in practical circuits?

No, an ideal op amp cannot be used in practical circuits because it is a theoretical model that does not exist in the real world. However, real op amps strive to mimic the behavior of an ideal op amp as closely as possible, and they are commonly used in a variety of electronic circuits.