Finding Value of a & b for Limit Existence

In summary, the limit for x → -1 exists if and only if the numerator is equal to -a|b-3| when x → -1.
steven cheung

Homework Statement

For what value of the constants a and b such that the following limit exists?

lim {(ax+|x+1|)|x+b-2|}/|x+1|
x->-1 help me ,thx

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

first, I know that I should cancel the absolute value at denominator of x+1. but i don't how to do. also x+1 if x>1. -(x+1) if x<1
[/B]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
steven cheung said:

Homework Statement

For what value of the constants a and b such that the following limit exists?

lim {(ax+|x+1|)|x+b-2|}/|x+1|
x->-1 help me ,thx

Homework Equations

Hello Steven, :welcome:

You have to show an "attempt at a solution" before we are allowed to help.

To help you start: what is the first thing you try when you have to evaluate such a limit? And why doesn't it work in this case?

steven cheung said:

first, I know that I should cancel the absolute value at denominator of x+1. but i don't how to do. also x+1 if x>1. -(x+1) if x<1[/B]
What value must the expression in the numerator have in x=-1 in order for the limit for x → -1 to possibly exist?

Samy_A said:
What value must the expression in the numerator have in x=-1 in order for the limit for x → -1 to possibly exist?
i do not understand
have some tip?

steven cheung said:
i do not understand
have some tip?
Say you have to establish whether the following limit exists:
##\displaystyle \lim_{x\rightarrow -1} \frac{x+7}{|x+1|}##.
How would you do that, and what is the answer?

Then look at the limit you have to compute:
##\displaystyle \lim_{x\rightarrow -1} \frac{(ax+|x+1|)|x+b-2|}{|x+1|}##
What value must the numerator ##(ax+|x+1|)|x+b-2|## have for x=-1 in order for this limit to possibly exist?

Samy_A said:
Say you have to establish whether the following limit exists:
##\displaystyle \lim_{x\rightarrow -1} \frac{x+7}{|x+1|}##.
How would you do that, and what is the answer?

Attachments

• 檔案 17-2-2016 下午5 08 19.jpeg
    檔案 17-2-2016 下午5 08 19.jpeg
    37.4 KB · Views: 396
steven cheung said:
limit.jpg
I don't understand how you get the 2 or -2 in the denominators as ##|1+(-1)|=0##.

Just plugging in ##x=-1## in ##\frac{x+7}{|x+1|}## gives you ##\frac{6}{0}##, obviously not a very nice limit.
See how the problem is not only that the denominator is 0 in ##x=-1##, but also that the numerator is 6. If the numerator was also 0, then maybe (just maybe), the limit could exist.

That should give you a huge clue about what should happen with the numerator ##(ax+|x+1|)|x+b-2|## at ##x=-1## for the limit to maybe (just maybe) exist.

Samy_A said:
I don't understand how you get the 2 or -2 in the denominators as ##|1+(-1)|=0##.

Just plugging in ##x=-1## in ##\frac{x+7}{|x+1|}## gives you ##\frac{6}{0}##, obviously not a very nice limit.
See how the problem is not only that the denominator is 0 in ##x=-1##, but also that the numerator is 6. If the numerator was also 0, then maybe (just maybe), the limit could exist.

That should give you a huge clue about what should happen with the numerator ##(ax+|x+1|)|x+b-2|## at ##x=-1## for the limit to maybe (just maybe) exist.

(-a)(b-3)>0
b-3>0 or -a>0
b>3 0r a <0
that right?

steven cheung said:
(-a)(b-3)>0
b-3>0 or -a>0
b>3 0r a <0
that right?
(Please always explain how you get a result, else it may be difficult to help you along.)

I assume you got ##(-a)(b-3)## by setting ##x=-1## in the numerator ##(ax+|x+1|)|x+b-2|##.
That actually gives ##-a|b-3|##. Why do you want that numerator to be larger than 0? How does >0 help you to establish that a limit may exist?

Last edited:
steven cheung said:
(-a)(b-3)>0
b-3>0 or -a>0
b>3 0r a <0
that right?

Samy_A said:
(Please always explain how you get a result, else it may be difficult to help you along.)

I assume you got ##(-a)(b-3)## by setting ##x=-1## in the denominator ##(ax+|x+1|)|x+b-2|##.
That actually gives ##-a|b-3|##. Why do you want that denominator to be larger then 0? How does >0 help you to establish that a limit may exist?

so, -a|b-3| if put in x=-1
then, a is all real number, b is 3 ?

steven cheung said:
so, -a|b-3| if put in x=-1
then, a is all real number, b is real munber(except 3) ?
I have asked the key question a number of times: what value must the numerator have in ##x=-1## in order for the limit to possibly exist?
You now know that the numerator is ##-a|b-3|## when ##x=-1##.
If the numerator is, say, equal to 7, you get ##\frac{7}{0}## when ##x=-1##. Can the limit then exist?

What is the only value for the numerator ##-a|b-3|## that may makes it possible for a limit to exist for ##x\to -1##?

Samy_A said:
I have asked the key question a number of times: what value must the numerator have in ##x=-1## in order for the limit to possibly exist?
You now know that the numerator is ##-a|b-3|## when ##x=-1##.
If the numerator is, say, equal to 7, you get ##\frac{7}{0}## when ##x=-1##. Can the limit then exist?

What is the only value for the numerator ##-a|b-3|## that may makes it possible for a limit to exist for ##x\to -1##?
i need some time to think,because i learn limit on 3 days

steven cheung said:
i need some time to think,because i learn limit on 3 days
The more theoretical point is as follows.
Say you have two continuous functions ##f:\mathbb R \to \mathbb R## and ##g:\mathbb R \to \mathbb R##.

Does ##\displaystyle \lim_{x\rightarrow -1} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)}## exist, and if so, what is the limit?

If ##g(-1) \neq 0##, the answer is easy: ##\displaystyle \lim_{x\rightarrow -1} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)}=\frac{f(-1)}{g(-1)}##.

It get's more complicated if ##g(-1) = 0##. Then just plugging in ##x=-1## would give ##\displaystyle \lim_{x\rightarrow -1} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)}=\frac{f(-1)}{0}##.
Now dividing a real number by 0 is not possible, so if, for example, ##f(-1)=7##, we can conclude that ##\displaystyle \lim_{x\rightarrow -1} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)}## doesn't exist (or maybe is ##\pm \infty##).
It is only when plugging in ##x=-1## gives ##\frac{0}{0}## (that's called an indeterminate form), that a finite limit may exist. Notice the may. It's not sure the limit will exist, but it is possible. It will depend on the precise behavior of ##f## and ##g## near ##x=-1##.

Likes steven cheung

Related to Finding Value of a & b for Limit Existence

1. What does it mean for the limit of a function to exist?

When we say that the limit of a function exists, it means that as the input values of the function approach a particular value, the output values of the function also approach a particular value. In other words, the function has a well-defined output as the input gets closer and closer to a specific value.

2. How do you find the value of a and b for limit existence?

To find the values of a and b for limit existence, we can use the algebraic definition of limits. This involves plugging in the given value of the limit into the function and simplifying the resulting expression until it can be evaluated. This will give us the value of a. To find the value of b, we can use the limit definition and substitute in the value of a that we just found.

3. Can a function have a limit at a point but not be continuous at that point?

Yes, it is possible for a function to have a limit at a point but not be continuous at that point. This can occur when the function has a "hole" or a removable discontinuity at that point. In other words, the function may be undefined at that point, but as the input values get closer and closer to that point, the output values approach a specific value.

4. How do you determine if the limit of a function exists graphically?

To determine if the limit of a function exists graphically, we can look at the behavior of the function as the input values approach the given value. If the graph of the function approaches a single value or a finite number of values, then the limit exists. However, if the graph has a "jump" or a vertical asymptote at the given value, then the limit does not exist.

5. What is the difference between a one-sided limit and a two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit is when we only consider the behavior of the function as the input values approach the given value from one direction (either from the left or the right). A two-sided limit, on the other hand, considers the behavior of the function as the input values approach the given value from both directions. In order for a two-sided limit to exist, both the left and right-sided limits must approach the same value.