Finding values of x where the infinite geometric series converge

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 10K views
meeklobraca
Messages
188
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


(2+x)+(2+x)^2+(2+x)^3 + ...


Homework Equations







The Attempt at a Solution



Ive found that the l r l < 1

the r of this equation is (2 + x)

so we have -1 < 2 + x < 1

The values of x where the series coverges is -3 < x < -1

Is this correct?

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
hmm …

meeklobraca said:
(2+x)+(2+x)^2+(2+x)^3 + ...
…
Ive found that the l r l < 1

the r of this equation is (2 + x)

so we have -1 < 2 + x < 1

The values of x where the series coverges is -3 < x < -1

Is this correct?

Thanks!

:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Hint: does it converge for x = 0? :wink:
 
meeklobraca said:

Homework Statement


(2+x)+(2+x)^2+(2+x)^3 + ...


Homework Equations







The Attempt at a Solution



Ive found that the l r l < 1

the r of this equation is (2 + x)

so we have -1 < 2 + x < 1

The values of x where the series coverges is -3 < x < -1

Is this correct?

Thanks!

Looks good to me:approve:
 


tiny-tim said:
:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Hint: does it converge for x = 0? :wink:



No I don't think so?

Does your laughing faces mean I got it right? lol
 
i need glasses

meeklobraca said:
No I don't think so?

Does your laughing faces mean I got it right? lol

oh dear … I read a -1 as a 1. :redface:

Yes … sorry, meeklobraca … you got it right! :biggrin: