Finding Vector B's x and y Components

In summary, to find the x-component and y-component for vector B, you can use the formula <ux, uy>+ <vx, vy>= <ux+ vx,Uy+ Vy> and add the x-components of each vector. To find theta 2, you can use the given angle of 111 degrees and add it to the angle of vector a (22 degrees) to get the angle of vector b (133 degrees) with the horizontal. The x-component of vector b is negative and the angle with the vertical is 43 degrees. However, if using this angle for the first part of the problem, you must use sine instead of cosine. A calculator can help with finding the correct values for cosine and sine.
ganondorf29
vectors.jpg

How do I find the x-component and y component for vector B?

Physics news on Phys.org
You aren't supposed to post HW here; however, you can easily determine that by dissecting the second given angle into two smaller acute angles.

If you had to use "principal angles" and look sine and cosine up in a table you would reduce the angel. But a calculator will give the correct cosine and sine of 111 degrees.

Yes, <ux, uy>+ <vx, vy>= <ux+ vx,Uy+ Vy>. Find the x-component of each vector and add.

So how do I find theta 2? I drew the black lines in so it would be easier to identify the x and y components, but I don't know how to find the angle that theta 2 makes with the y-component of B

I misread what you had before. As I said, you are given that [itex]\theta_2= 111[/itex] but I was thinking that was also the angle with the horizontal. Since vector a makes 22 degrees with the horizontal itself, vector b makes an angle of 22+ 111= 133 degrees with the horizontal. The x-component of vector a is 15 cos(22) and the x component of vector b is 15 cos(133) (notice that the latter is negative). The x-component of their sum is the sum of those.

However, if you really want to find the angle vector b makes with the vertical (if it is another part of the problem), Just use 133- 90= 43. But be careful. If you try to use that angle for the first part of the problem, you will have to use sine rather than cosine and change the sign "by hand". Your calculator will tell you that cos(133)= -sin(43).

Thank you guys for the help.

Related to Finding Vector B's x and y Components

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It can be represented by an arrow with a specific length and direction.

2. How do I find the x and y components of a vector?

To find the x and y components of a vector, you can use the trigonometric functions sine and cosine. The x component can be found by multiplying the magnitude of the vector by the cosine of the angle between the vector and the x-axis. The y component can be found by multiplying the magnitude of the vector by the sine of the angle.

3. What is the difference between the magnitude and components of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector is the length of the arrow representing the vector, while the components are the x and y values that make up the vector's direction and magnitude. The magnitude gives the overall size of the vector, while the components give the specific direction and magnitude in the x and y directions.

4. Can a vector have negative components?

Yes, a vector can have negative components. This means that the vector is pointing in the opposite direction of the positive component. For example, a vector with a negative x component would be pointing to the left, while a vector with a negative y component would be pointing downwards.

5. How can I use vector components in real-life applications?

Vector components can be used in various real-life applications such as navigation, engineering, and physics. In navigation, vector components can be used to determine the direction and magnitude of movement. In engineering, vector components are used to analyze forces and their effects on structures. In physics, vector components are used to calculate the motion of objects and their acceleration.