Finding Orthogonal Projection of a Curve in the yz-Plane

In summary, if given a curve in terms of a scalar equation and asked to find its orthogonal projection in the yz-plane, you can simply eliminate the x value and be left with the resulting curve. No further projection formula is needed.
hungryhippo
How would you approach a question where you're given a curve in terms of a scalar equation, and asked to find the orthogonal projection of this curve in the yz-plane

You know that the curve is the intersection of the surfaces of:

x=y^2+z^2 --1
x-2y+4z=0 --2

From here, I would just substitute equation 1 into 2 for x, to find the resulting curve

I know that a yz-plane indicates that the x-coordinate will always be 0 , so (0,y,z)
For scalar projections, you can find it as just

(a) dot (b) / (length of a)

I'm not sure if what I'm thinking so far is correct, and extremely unsure on the projection part.

I really need help on this :eek::confused:

Thanks in advance for any advice

Physics news on Phys.org
You are probably just over thinking this whole thing. Once you've found a yz curve by eliminating x, you are done, right? Projection into the yz plane just means ignore the x value. You don't need a projection formula for this case.

1. What is a vector projection?

A vector projection is a way to represent a vector in terms of another vector. It is the component of one vector that lies in the same direction as another vector.

2. How do you find the vector projection?

To find the vector projection of vector A onto vector B, you can use the formula:
projBA = (A ⋅ B / |B|2) * B
This formula takes the dot product of the two vectors and divides it by the magnitude of vector B squared, then multiplies the result by vector B.

3. What is the significance of vector projections?

Vector projections are important in many areas of science and engineering, including physics, mathematics, and computer graphics. They are used to solve problems involving forces, motion, and geometric transformations.

4. Can vector projections be negative?

Yes, the vector projection can be negative. This happens when the angle between the two vectors is greater than 90 degrees. In this case, the projected vector will point in the opposite direction of the original vector.

5. Are there any real-world applications of vector projections?

Yes, vector projections have many practical applications. They are used in navigation systems, engineering designs, and 3D modeling. They also play a role in calculating forces and velocities in physics, and in calculating probabilities in statistics.