Finding velocity in an elastic problem

In summary, Herman is sitting motionless on a tire swing. Eddie hits a baseball and the ball has a velocity of 169 m/s. Herman's change in KE is 3.2 m/s. Eddie hits another ball and this time Herman catches it. As a result, Herman moves a height h and the ball is going faster this time.
omc1

Homework Statement

herman(m=135kg) is sitting motionless on a tire swing. eddie hits a baseball (m=2kg) and v=169 m/s. L=3.2m. (A)what is the velocity of the ball after the collision and (B) what is the velocity of herman after the collision. (C) what is herman's change in KE. (D) eddie hits another ball and this time herman catches it. as a result herman moves a height h, how fast was the ball going this time?

Homework Equations

p(0)=p(f), KE=1/2mΔv^2, p=J=mgh=mv

The Attempt at a Solution

. (A and B) i started out with my p(0)=p(f), but i have two unknown velocities so iam not sure where to go from there?
i think for C, i can just use the found velocities to find the change in KE. For the last one i know that h=l-lcos(theta) so i plugged that into mgh=mv.
thanks for help!

Physics news on Phys.org
hi omc1! :smile:

according to your title, this is an elastic collision (for parts A-C),

so you can use conservation of energy as well as the usual conservation of (angular) momentum :wink:

hi,
so when I do p0+k0=pf+kf, I get that velocity initial equals velocity final, but I am not sure what the height is? I thought that it would be 0 for initial and finial??

omc1 said:
I get that velocity initial equals velocity final

how can that be?? :confused:

we don't seem to be talking about the same question :redface:

this is a dumb question but how to I find theta for this problem to solve for the h that herman goes. because I only know the length L.

tiny-tim said:
how can that be?? :confused:

we don't seem to be talking about the same question :redface:

so when I try to find the velocity of the ball, i did 1/2mv^2+mh=1/2mv^2+mgh
but i didnth this that the ball had a height?
for the velocity of herman I know he had a final height...L-Lcostheata. but I don't know how to get theta because i only have the length of the one side...

1. How is velocity calculated in an elastic problem?

Velocity in an elastic problem is calculated using the formula v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. This formula is derived from the basic equation of motion, v = u + at, and is applicable to elastic problems as well.

2. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy is conserved, meaning that the objects involved bounce off each other and there is no loss of energy. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is lost and the objects may stick together after colliding. In terms of velocity, the final velocities of the objects in an elastic collision are equal and opposite, while in an inelastic collision, the final velocities may be different.

3. How does the elasticity of the objects affect the velocity in an elastic collision?

The elasticity of the objects affects the velocity in an elastic collision by determining the amount of kinetic energy that is conserved. In an ideal elastic collision, where the objects are perfectly elastic, all of the kinetic energy is conserved and the final velocities are equal and opposite. In reality, some energy is lost due to factors such as friction and deformation, so the final velocities may not be exactly equal.

4. Can the velocity in an elastic collision ever be greater than the initial velocities of the objects?

No, in an elastic collision, the final velocity of an object cannot be greater than its initial velocity. This is because the total kinetic energy is conserved, so if the final velocity were greater, it would mean that kinetic energy was somehow added to the system, which is not possible.

5. How are momentum and velocity related in an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision, momentum is always conserved. This means that the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. In terms of velocity, the final velocities of the objects are directly related to their initial velocities and masses, as shown in the formula v1f = (m1 - m2)/(m1 + m2) * v1i and v2f = (2m1)/(m1 + m2) * v1i, where v1f and v2f are the final velocities, v1i is the initial velocity of the first object, and m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects.