Finding Velocity in Car Collision Impulse Problem

In summary: The equation follows directly from good old F = ma = m dv/dt so just move the differentials around and integrate both sides of the equation.
Bgerst103

Homework Statement

A 1343 kg car experiences an impulse of 30,000 N during a collision with a wall. If the collision takes 0.43 s, what was the velocity of the car just before the collision?

A) 22 m/s
B) 9 m/s
C) 51 m/s
D) 18 m/s

Homework Equations

F=dp/dt
p=mv

The Attempt at a Solution

I first tried to work backwards by doing 30,000 x .43 = dp which comes out to be 12900. Since I'm assuming the final momentum is 0, I plugged 12900 into p=mv along with 1343 and got v=9.6. I don't think 9 m/s is the answer, I'm pretty sure it's either A or D but I can't seem to come out with answer close to either. Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you read the question correctly? The units for impulse are not Newtons.

AlephZero said:
Did you read the question correctly? The units for impulse are not Newtons.

30,000 N/s is what it says.

Bgerst103 said:
30,000 N/s is what it says.
Are you sure? The units for impulse are as for momentum. Could be kg m/s or, equivalently, Ns (Newton-seconds).
You tried multiplying by the duration, giving you units of kg m (or, Ns2), neither of which relates to any physical quantity I can think of.
Given a time, a momentum and a mass, you want a velocity. What function of the given variables will do that?

Replace 'impulse' with force in the problem statement and you get your answer which I think is correct, the given choices notwithstanding.

rude man said:
Replace 'impulse' with force in the problem statement and you get your answer which I think is correct, the given choices notwithstanding.
On the other hand, leave it as impulse, with units of Newton-seconds, and you do get one of the offered answers.

haruspex said:
On the other hand, leave it as impulse, with units of Newton-seconds, and you do get one of the offered answers.

I ended up getting 22 m/s by just dividing 30,000 N-s by 1343. Not completely sure why that worked but it gave me one of the two answers that I thought it could potentially be.

Good point, haruspex and OP. In which case I fell for the red herring of the 0.43 s.
Perhaps we'll never know the real story ...

Bgerst103 said:
I ended up getting 22 m/s by just dividing 30,000 N-s by 1343. Not completely sure why that worked but it gave me one of the two answers that I thought it could potentially be.

It worked because the basic equation is impulse = force F times time t = change in momentum Δp = mass m time change in velocity Δv, or

∫Fdt = Δp = mΔv + vΔm but in this case Δm = 0.

The equation follows directly from good old F = ma = m dv/dt so just move the differentials around and integrate both sides of the equation.

What is a car collision impulse problem?

A car collision impulse problem refers to the calculation of the change in momentum of a car during a collision. This is important in determining the force exerted on the car and the severity of the impact.

How is impulse calculated in a car collision?

Impulse is calculated by multiplying the average force exerted during the collision by the time it takes for the collision to occur. This can be determined by analyzing the change in momentum of the car before and after the collision.

What factors affect the impulse in a car collision?

The main factors that affect impulse in a car collision include the speed of the car, the mass of the car, and the duration of the collision. Other factors such as the angle of impact, the type of collision (head-on, rear-end, etc.), and the stiffness of the cars involved may also play a role.

How can the impulse in a car collision be reduced?

The impulse in a car collision can be reduced by decreasing the speed of the car, increasing the duration of the collision, or increasing the distance over which the collision occurs. This can be achieved through various safety measures such as seatbelts, airbags, and crumple zones in cars.

Why is understanding the car collision impulse problem important?

Understanding the car collision impulse problem is important for determining the safety of vehicles and their occupants. It can also help in designing and implementing safety measures to reduce the severity of collisions and prevent injuries or fatalities.