1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding velocity when onlu a mass and acceleration is given

1. Nov 18, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The instruments attached to a weather balloon have a mass of 5.0kg.The balloon is released and exerts an upward force of 98 N on the instruments. I have found that the acceleration is 1.96 m/s/s by F=ma.
    After the balloons have accelerated for 10 seconds, the instruments are released. What is the velocity of the instruments at the moment of their release?

2. Relevant equations
    V(sub f)^2=V(sub i)^2 + 2ad
    I have tried this but I don't know either velocity or the distance.
    or would it be:
    V(sub f) = V(sub i) +at

3. The attempt at a solution
    V(sub f)^2= 0^2 + (2)(1.96m/s^2)(d)
    or
    V(sub f)= 0 + (1.96m/s^2)(10s)
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2011 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Be careful, that's not the acceleration. How did you figure out what the acceleration was?

Once you know the acceleration, you also know that

[itex]v = v_0 + at[/itex]

It's assumed to be released from rest, so [itex]v_0 = 0[/itex]. It's a simple matter of letting [itex]t = 10 sec[/itex]. Remember, the question is quite simple since it only asks for what happens at the release.

4. Nov 18, 2011 #3
    Oh okay. I looked at the calculator wrong for the decimal. So the initial velocity is 0?

5. Nov 18, 2011 #4
    The force exerted by the balloon on the instruments is 98N, but what is the net force after accounting for gravity?

6. Nov 18, 2011 #5
    is it 10?

7. Nov 18, 2011 #6
    How did you arrive at that? E.G. which equation did you use?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook