Finding velocity when onlu a mass and acceleration is given

In summary, the instruments attached to a weather balloon have a mass of 5.0kg and experience an upward force of 98N. The acceleration is found to be 1.96 m/s/s using the equation F=ma. After accelerating for 10 seconds, the instruments are released. Using the equation v=v0+at, and assuming an initial velocity of 0, it can be determined that the velocity of the instruments at the moment of release is 19.6 m/s. The net force on the instruments, taking gravity into account, is 10N.
mkmaitla

Homework Statement

The instruments attached to a weather balloon have a mass of 5.0kg.The balloon is released and exerts an upward force of 98 N on the instruments. I have found that the acceleration is 1.96 m/s/s by F=ma.
After the balloons have accelerated for 10 seconds, the instruments are released. What is the velocity of the instruments at the moment of their release?

Homework Equations

V(sub f)^2=V(sub i)^2 + 2ad
I have tried this but I don't know either velocity or the distance.
or would it be:
V(sub f) = V(sub i) +at

The Attempt at a Solution

V(sub f)^2= 0^2 + (2)(1.96m/s^2)(d)
or
V(sub f)= 0 + (1.96m/s^2)(10s)

Physics news on Phys.org
Be careful, that's not the acceleration. How did you figure out what the acceleration was?

Once you know the acceleration, you also know that

[itex]v = v_0 + at[/itex]

It's assumed to be released from rest, so [itex]v_0 = 0[/itex]. It's a simple matter of letting [itex]t = 10 sec[/itex]. Remember, the question is quite simple since it only asks for what happens at the release.

Oh okay. I looked at the calculator wrong for the decimal. So the initial velocity is 0?

The force exerted by the balloon on the instruments is 98N, but what is the net force after accounting for gravity?

is it 10?

How did you arrive at that? E.G. which equation did you use?

1. What is the formula for finding velocity when only mass and acceleration are given?

The formula for finding velocity when only mass and acceleration are given is V = a * m, where V represents velocity, a represents acceleration, and m represents mass. This formula is derived from Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that force is equal to mass times acceleration.

2. Can you find velocity without knowing the force?

Yes, it is possible to find velocity without knowing the force. As long as you have the values for mass and acceleration, you can use the formula V = a * m to calculate the velocity. However, if you also know the force, you can use it to double-check your calculation by using the formula F = m * a, where F represents force.

3. How does an increase in mass affect the velocity?

An increase in mass will cause a decrease in velocity, assuming all other variables remain constant. This is because the formula for velocity includes mass as a factor, so a larger mass will result in a larger overall value for velocity.

4. What is the standard unit of measurement for velocity?

The standard unit of measurement for velocity is meters per second (m/s). This unit indicates how many meters an object moves in one second. However, other units such as kilometers per hour (km/h) and miles per hour (mph) are also commonly used to measure velocity.

5. Can velocity be negative?

Yes, velocity can be negative. A negative velocity indicates that an object is moving in the opposite direction of the positive direction. For example, if a car is moving at -20 m/s, it is moving to the left, while a car moving at 20 m/s is moving to the right. Negative velocity can also indicate a decrease in speed, while positive velocity indicates an increase in speed.