Finding Velocity with Varying Force and Friction

In summary, the problem involves a 3kg collar at rest being acted upon by a force Q that varies according to a given graph. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.25. The goal is to determine the velocity of the collar at t = 1 s and t = 2s. After attempting different approaches, it is found that the impulse equation can be used to calculate the velocity at t = 2s, but it is slightly off from the expected answer. The calculated force of friction exceeds Q, leading to two possible acceleration possibilities.
CGI

Homework Statement

The 3kg collar is initially at rest and is acted upon a force Q which varies by the the graph shown. Knowing that the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.25, determine the velocity of the collar at t = 1 s and t = 2s.

Homework Equations

FΔt = mΔv
Ffriction = .25 x N

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the answer for b = 3.43 m/s, but I'm trying to think of how I would get there.
I thought about the impulse equation so I tried plugging it in. Since at t = 2, F = 5, and Δt = 2, I said

10 = 3(Vfinal - VInitial

where V initial would be 0. I get that the velocity at t = 2 is 3.33, which is close, but no cigar. I then thought about the the force of friction that would be acting in the opposite direction of Q, so I should subtract the two forces. I found that the force of friction is 7.3575 N. Once i subtract the two, I get a negative value, which I don't think is right. Any help would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• 20160214_182432.jpg
    20160214_182432.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 415
Physics news on Phys.org
The impulse is the area under the force-time graph.

CGI said:
the graph shown
I don't understand the scale on the graph. The y=20 line seems to be only 3 times the height of the y=5 line.
CGI said:
I found that the force of friction is 7.3575 N. Once i subtract the two, I get a negative value, which I don't think is right.
When the calculated force of friction exceeds Q, there are two possibilities for the acceleration. What are they? (Note that you make a certain assumption when you calculate kinetic friction.)

1. How is velocity calculated from impulse?

Velocity can be calculated by dividing the impulse by the mass of the object. The formula is v = impulse/mass.

2. What is impulse in relation to finding velocity?

Impulse is a force applied over a specific period of time. It is measured in Newton-seconds (N·s) and is used to determine the change in an object's momentum. In the context of finding velocity, impulse is used to calculate the object's final velocity.

3. Can impulse and velocity be used interchangeably?

No, impulse and velocity are two separate measurements. Impulse is a measure of the change in an object's momentum, while velocity is a measure of the object's speed and direction of motion at a specific point in time. However, impulse can be used to calculate velocity.

4. What are the units of measurement for impulse and velocity?

Impulse is measured in Newton-seconds (N·s) while velocity is measured in meters per second (m/s).

5. Is the mass of the object a factor in finding velocity from impulse?

Yes, the mass of the object is a crucial factor in calculating velocity from impulse. The larger the mass, the smaller the change in velocity will be for a given amount of impulse. This is because a larger mass requires more force to change its velocity compared to a smaller mass.