Finding weight using Archimedes' principle

In summary, the block of carbon floats at the interface of two liquids. The bottom liquid is a relatively heavy lubricating oil, and the top liquid is water. Of the total block volume, 54.2% is immersed in the oil and the balance in the water. In a separate experiment, and empty flask is weighed, 35.3 cm^3 of the lubricating oil is poured into the flask, and the flask is reweighed. If the scale reading was 124.8g in the first weighting, what would it be in the second weighting?
kari82
A rectangular block of solid carbon (graphite) floats at the interface of two immiscible liquids. The bottom liquid is a relatively heavy lubricating oil, and the top liquid is water. Of the total block volume, 54.2% is immersed in the oil and the balance in the water. In a separate experiment, and empty flask is weighed, 35.3 cm^3 of the lubricating oil is poured into the flask, and the flask is reweighed. If the scale reading was 124.8g in the first weighting, what would it be in the second weighting?

mblock=m of oil displaced

density graphite=2.26g/cm^3

I'm not sure if I am right but I assumed that volume of oil=0.542volume of block

ρ(block) x V(block)=ρ(oil) x (0.542Vb)

ρ(oil)=ρ(b) x V(b)/0.542Vb=2.26/0.542= 4.17 g/cm^3

Then we can calculate the mass of the poured oil

m(oil)=ρ x V(poured) = 4.17 x 35.3 = 147.2g

m(total)=m(o) + m(f) = 147.2g +124.8g = 272g

I feel like I am missing something. Can someone please tell me if my approach is not correct? Thank you for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you justify not taking into account the effect of the water?

I cant.. And that was the main reason why I'm pretty sure I'm missing something. When I tried to include water into my calculations I was getting that the density of the oil is less than 1, which it does not make sense.

What I assumed was that the m(block)=m(oil displaced) and the m(block)=m(water displaced); therefore, the m(oil displaced)=m(water displaced)... Is that correct?

kari82 said:
What I assumed was that the m(block)=m(oil displaced) and the m(block)=m(water displaced); therefore, the m(oil displaced)=m(water displaced)... Is that correct?
No. What's the total buoyant force acting on the floating block?

mf(oil)g + mf(water)g ?

kari82 said:
mf(oil)g + mf(water)g ?
Yes. (Assuming that by mf(oil) you mean the mass of the displaced oil, etc.)

Express everything in terms of density and volume.

Thank you so much! So my correct equation will be:

ρ(block)V(block)=ρ(oil)0.542Vb + ρ(water)0.458Vb

Thank you again! :)

Looks good to me. ;-)

What is Archimedes' principle?

Archimedes' principle states that the buoyant force acting on an object is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces.

How can Archimedes' principle be used to find weight?

By immersing an object in a fluid, the amount of fluid displaced can be measured and then used to calculate the weight of the object based on the principle stated above.

What types of objects can be measured using Archimedes' principle?

Archimedes' principle can be applied to any object, regardless of its shape or size, as long as it is fully or partially submerged in a fluid.

What factors can affect the accuracy of weight measurements using Archimedes' principle?

The accuracy of weight measurements using Archimedes' principle can be affected by factors such as the density and composition of the fluid, as well as any external forces acting on the object.

Are there any real-world applications of Archimedes' principle?

Yes, Archimedes' principle is widely used in various industries such as shipbuilding, aircraft design, and the production of submarines and hot air balloons. It is also used in everyday activities such as measuring the volume of liquids and determining the purity of precious metals.