The Rock's Height and Velocity: 16t-1.86t^2

In summary, the height formula for a ball thrown at 16 m/s is H=16t-1.86t^2. The rock hits the surface after 8.6 seconds with a velocity of -15.992 m/s.
tc903
H=16t-1.86t^2 is the height formula. The ball was thrown 16 m/s.

I derived 16-3.72a.

When will the rock hit the surface. It hits the surface 8.6 seconds.

What velocity does the rock hit the surface? H=0.0344 then the velocity is 15.87 m/s?
View attachment 4471This is what I chose.

[-4.-2)
(-2,2)
[2,4)
(4,6)
(6,8)

Attachments

• 2-4-4.gif
    2-4-4.gif
    4.1 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
tc903 said:
H=16t-1.86t^2 is the height formula. The ball was thrown 16 m/s.

I derived 16-3.72a.

When will the rock hit the surface. It hits the surface 8.6 seconds.

What velocity does the rock hit the surface? H=0.0344 then the velocity is 15.87 m/s?
This is what I chose.

[-4.-2)
(-2,2)
[2,4)
(4,6)
(6,8)

Hi tc903,

I think the velocity is wrong. Since $H=16t-1.86t^2$ we have, $\frac{dH}{dt}=16-3.72t$. The rock reaches the ground at $t=8.6$ and therefore the velocity is, $\left.\frac{dH}{dt}\right|_{t=8.6}=16-3.72(8.6)=-15.992$.

I would think the same, maybe I shouldn't have rounded it to -15.9 when I originally did that way. I have a computer that is telling me no when I plug in an answer like that.

Related to The Rock's Height and Velocity: 16t-1.86t^2

1. How do you calculate the height and velocity of The Rock?

The height and velocity of an object can be calculated using the equation 16t-1.86t^2, where t represents the time in seconds. This equation is based on the laws of physics and can be solved using basic algebraic methods.

2. What does the number 16 represent in the equation 16t-1.86t^2?

The number 16 represents the acceleration due to gravity, which is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared. This value is often rounded up to 10 for simplicity in calculations.

3. How does time affect The Rock's height and velocity?

As time increases, the height and velocity of The Rock will also increase. This is because the object is constantly accelerating due to the force of gravity. However, as the object reaches its maximum height, its velocity will decrease until it reaches 0 at the top of its trajectory.

4. Can this equation be used to calculate the exact height and velocity of The Rock?

No, this equation is a simplified model that does not take into account air resistance, wind, and other factors that may affect the actual height and velocity of The Rock. It is meant to provide a general estimate and may not be entirely accurate.

5. How can the equation 16t-1.86t^2 be applied in real-life scenarios?

This equation can be used to calculate the height and velocity of any object that is affected by gravity. For example, it can be used to predict the trajectory of a ball thrown in the air or the descent of an object dropped from a height. It is a fundamental equation in physics that has many practical applications.