What is the proper notation for finding all mapped x in R4 using linear algebra?

• Thread starter CookieSalesman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mapping
In summary: Don't ban me.The Attempt at a SolutionI tried RREF on this after setting this Ax=b to zero (b = 0 vector)|1 0 -9 7 0 ||0 1 -4 3 0 ||2 -6 6 -4 0 |And I solved...using x1=x x2=y x3=z etc... because 9x1 looks confusing(x,y,z,w)I havex - 9z + 7w =0y-4z+3w=0The answer in the book
CookieSalesman

Homework Statement

Linear algebra:[/B]
Find all x in R4 space that are mapped into the zero vector for the given matrix A

A=
| 1 -4 7 -5 |
| 0 1 -4 3|
| 2 -6 6 -4|

Homework Equations

None... it's linear algebra. Don't ban me.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried RREF on this after setting this Ax=b to zero (b = 0 vector)
|1 0 -9 7 0 |
|0 1 -4 3 0 |
|2 -6 6 -4 0 |

And I solved...

using x1=x x2=y x3=z etc... because 9x1 looks confusing
(x,y,z,w)

I have
x - 9z + 7w =0
y-4z+3w=0

The answer in the book is

z times some column (9;4;1;0) + w times some column (-7 -3 0 1)
(Nevermind the messy notation this probably isn't necessary for you anyway)

BUT I just can't get this right!
I just can't understand this somehow.

I just completely forgot how to represent this properly.

I mean technically
"
x - 9z + 7w =0
y-4z+3w=0
"

is an answer, right?

However the book just has it in this certain notation, and also the question asks "find all x" that are mapped...

But... just please help me figure out why I can't do this.

At first I was even confused that why X had four rows... Idk how to represent this. I looked in an earlier section in the book and that doesn't even help. Maybe I need some sleep. :l

Physics news on Phys.org
What happened to your 3rd equation?
Which techniques are you supposed to apply?
Have you heard about row reduction?

Your matrix is 4 by 3 so any vector it can be applied to must have 4 rows.
Essentially you want to solve Ax= 0 where x is a column matrix with 4 rows.
You want to solve
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & -4 & 7 & -5 \\ 0 & 1 & -4 & 3\\ 2 & 6 & 6 & 4\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}w \\ x \\ y \\ z\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix} w- 4x+ 7y- 5z \\ x- 4y+ 3z \\ 2w+ 6x+ 6y+ 4z\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}0 \\ 0 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]
Personally, I wouldn't "row reduce", that's too advanced for me! I would just solve the three equations w- 4x+ 7y- 5z= 0, x- 4y+ 3z= 0, 2w+ 6x+ 6y+ 4z= 0. For example, if we multiply the first equation by 2 and subtract the third equation from that, the "w" terms cancel leaving -8x+ 8y+ 6z= 0. Now solve that together with x- 4y+ 3z= 0.

Because there are only three equations but four "unknowns" we cannot solve for specific values of all four unknowns. But we probably can solve for three in terms of the fourth. That would give a one dimensional kernel.

fresh_42 said:
What happened to your 3rd equation?
Which techniques are you supposed to apply?
Have you heard about row reduction?
That's what I used, RREF. With MATLAB, actually.

But the bottom row is all zeroes once you set it up with the zero column. As well as the rightmost column since you have to solve for the zero vector, which is kind of an unusual matrix. So there's no third equation. I mean you can make one, but yep. I'm also not sure which third equation you might be talking about

Thanks hallsofivy but I'm just concerned that your answer doesn't seem to match the book's answer. What's a one dimensional kernel?
And wouldn't you represent x as a linear combination of vectors? At least that's what the book's answer is.

Last edited:
Oops I just realized that I forgot that the X I was solving for had to be 4x1. Somehow I didn't totally grasp that.

But whatever the case, maybe this is my question.

Forget everything above..
How do I set this up if I need to solve for b?

Given a matrix A, and needing to find all x in R4 mapped to the zero vector, do I do what you did above and just add a row of zeros to the right?

This confuses me because to solve for b in Ax=b, you can just augment the matrix and solve for x. To solve for x in Ax=b you can just add b to the right side (in this case three zeroes).

Why... does that work? Or does it at all?

I'm not sure why I can't figure this problem out, but yes, I'm about one month into linear aalgebra. I should know how to do this but I'm just incredibly tired and I can't think properly. From what I can tell I thought my answer is right. Although it just seems that the book is missing the vector x and y.

CookieSalesman said:

Homework Statement

Linear algebra:[/B]
Find all x in R4 space that are mapped into the zero vector for the given matrix A

A=
| 1 -4 7 -5 |
| 0 1 -4 3|
| 2 -6 6 -4|

Homework Equations

None... it's linear algebra. Don't ban me.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried RREF on this after setting this Ax=b to zero (b = 0 vector)
|1 0 -9 7 0 |
|0 1 -4 3 0 |
|2 -6 6 -4 0 |
The above is an augmented matrix, one where the last column represents the zero vector in the matrix equation Ax = 0. Although there's nothing wrong with putting that last column of zeroes in, there's really no point in doing so. There is no possibility it will change.
CookieSalesman said:
And I solved...

using x1=x x2=y x3=z etc... because 9x1 looks confusing
(x,y,z,w)

I have
x - 9z + 7w =0
y-4z+3w=0

The answer in the book is

z times some column (9;4;1;0) + w times some column (-7 -3 0 1)
(Nevermind the messy notation this probably isn't necessary for you anyway)
From your two equations above, you can solve for x, y z, and w like so:
Code:
x = 9z - 7w
y = 4z - 3w
z = z
w =       w
The last two equations are obviously true, and are helpful in getting vectors out of this work.

If you stare at the four equations above long enough, you should see that what we really have is this:
##\begin{bmatrix} x \\ y \\ z \\ w \end{bmatrix} = z\begin{bmatrix}9 \\ 4 \\ 1 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix} + w\begin{bmatrix} -7 \\ -3 \\ 0 \\ 1\end{bmatrix}##
CookieSalesman said:
BUT I just can't get this right!
I just can't understand this somehow.

I just completely forgot how to represent this properly.

I mean technically
"
x - 9z + 7w =0
y-4z+3w=0
"

is an answer, right?

However the book just has it in this certain notation, and also the question asks "find all x" that are mapped...

But... just please help me figure out why I can't do this.

At first I was even confused that why X had four rows... Idk how to represent this. I looked in an earlier section in the book and that doesn't even help. Maybe I need some sleep. :l

I think I understand. Thanks a lot. I'm going to try this again.

CookieSalesman said:
That's what I used, RREF. With MATLAB, actually.

But the bottom row is all zeroes. As well as the rightmost column since you have to solve for the zero vector, which is kind of an unusual matrix.

Thanks hallsofivy but I'm just concerned that your answer doesn't seem to match the book's answer. What's a one dimensional kernel?
And wouldn't you represent x as a linear combination of vectors? At least that's what the book's answer is.
Try to solve it by hand. Then we see whether the kernel is one- or two-dimensional.
I did not say you should use row reduction. I asked what you were supposed to use?

fresh_42 said:
Try to solve it by hand. Then we see whether the kernel is one- or two-dimensional.
I did not say you should use row reduction. I asked what you were supposed to use?
I should use whatever I can use... RREF works for this case. There was no specified method. However we've been taught row reduction.

CookieSalesman said:
I should use whatever I can use... RREF works for this case. There was no specified method. However we've been taught row reduction.
RREF is fine (which I did by hand -- the matrix reduces pretty quickly).

Do you understand what I did in post #6?

Related to What is the proper notation for finding all mapped x in R4 using linear algebra?

1. What does "finding x of a mapping in R4" mean?

The phrase "finding x of a mapping in R4" refers to solving for the unknown variable x in a specific mapping or function that involves four dimensions. This typically requires using mathematical techniques such as substitution, elimination, or matrices.

2. How is finding x in a mapping in R4 different from finding x in a mapping in R3?

The main difference is that mappings in R4 involve four dimensions, while mappings in R3 involve only three dimensions. This means that solving for x in R4 will require working with four variables, while solving for x in R3 will only involve three variables.

3. What are the common methods used to find x in a mapping in R4?

The most common methods include substitution, elimination, and matrices. Substitution involves solving for one variable in terms of the others and then plugging it into the other equations to solve for x. Elimination involves manipulating the equations to eliminate one variable at a time until only x remains. Matrices can also be used to solve a system of equations in R4.

4. Can finding x in a mapping in R4 have multiple solutions?

Yes, it is possible for a mapping in R4 to have multiple solutions for x. This can occur when the equations are not linearly independent, meaning that one equation can be derived from the others. In this case, there will be more than one set of values that satisfy the equations and solve for x.

5. How is finding x of a mapping in R4 relevant in scientific research?

Finding x in a mapping in R4 is relevant in many areas of scientific research, including physics, engineering, and computer science. It allows researchers to model complex systems and make predictions based on mathematical equations. It is also used in data analysis and optimization to find the best solutions to problems with multiple variables.