Finding y using complimentary and particular solutions

• Thread starter John777
  • Start date
In summary: Also what if the left side was x6e^-4xI assume you mean y"+ 7y'+ 6y. That gives a characteristic equation of r^2+ 7r+ 6= (r+ 6)(r+ 1)= 0 and so two independent solutions to the associated homogeneous equation are e^{-6x} and e^{-x}. Since the right hand side does not involve either of those, try a particular solution of the form y= Ae^{-4x}. For 6xe^{-4x}, as I said before, use x and lower powers: try y= (Ax+ B)e^{-4x}.
John777

Homework Statement

y''+4y = 2x^2+2sinx Find Y.

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I know the complimentary solution is Yc=C1e2ix+C2e-2ix

I am just very confused on finding the yp. I know the basic method is find yp then take second derivative and plug in, but I'm not sure what the initial equation is for yp thus I cannot proceed. If you answer this please don't just write the initial equation for yp. Please let me know how you got it. Thanks you guys are a lifesavers!

edit: I believe the form of yp is something like Ax^2+B+Dcosx-Esinx As this is just from another example I had, but I do not know how they got this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried to get lucky?

The lucky guess method works quite nicely here.

D H said:
Have you tried to get lucky?

The lucky guess method works quite nicely here.

I've never head of that method, can you please ellaborate?

Google is your friend. It's also known as the method of undetermined coefficients.

edit: I believe the form of yp is something like Ax^2+B+Dcosx-Esinx As this is just from another example I had, but I do not know how they got this.
Almost. For "x^2" you need to try something like Ax^2+ Bx+ C. That is, the power of x and all lower powers. So try y= Ax^2+ Bx+ C+ Dcos(x)+ Esin(x). Plug that into the differential equation and solve for A, B, C, D, and E.

(They "got that" by knowing that the derivative of a power of x involves a lower power of x ((x^n)'= n x^(n-1)) and that the derivative of sine is a cosine and vice-versa.)

HallsofIvy said:
Almost. For "x^2" you need to try something like Ax^2+ Bx+ C. That is, the power of x and all lower powers. So try y= Ax^2+ Bx+ C+ Dcos(x)+ Esin(x). Plug that into the differential equation and solve for A, B, C, D, and E.

(They "got that" by knowing that the derivative of a power of x involves a lower power of x ((x^n)'= n x^(n-1)) and that the derivative of sine is a cosine and vice-versa.)

OK I get it and have solved for the A, B, C, D, and E variables. Is it possible to solve for the C1 and C2 into the complimentary solution?

Only if you are told about some specific values of the function.

Consider y'-y=0, which has y=C*ex as a solution. Any constant value for C will yield a solution to the differential equation. You can solve for C if you are told the value of the function for some particular x.

D H said:
Only if you are told about some specific values of the function.

Consider y'-y=0, which has y=C*ex as a solution. Any constant value for C will yield a solution to the differential equation. You can solve for C if you are told the value of the function for some particular x.
Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it.

One more question, if I had an equation such as 3"+7y'-6y = 6e^-4x

What would the lucky guess method initial y particular be?

Also what if the left side was x6e^-4x

Last edited:
I assume you mean y"+ 7y'+ 6y. That gives a characteristic equation of [itex]r^2+ 7r+ 6= (r+ 6)(r+ 1)= 0[/itex] and so two independent solutions to the associated homogeneous equation are [itex]e^{-6x}[/itex] and [itex]e^{-x}[/itex]. Since the right hand side does not involve either of those, try a particular solution of the form [itex]y= Ae^{-4x}[/itex].

For [itex]6xe^{-4x}[/itex], as I said before, use x and lower powers: try [itex]y= (Ax+ B)e^{-4x}[/itex].

1. What is the difference between complimentary and particular solutions?

Complimentary solutions are the general solutions to a differential equation that contain arbitrary constants. These constants can be determined by applying initial conditions. Particular solutions, on the other hand, are specific solutions that satisfy the given differential equation and any specified initial conditions.

2. How do I find the complimentary solution?

To find the complimentary solution, you first need to solve the homogeneous version of the differential equation by setting the right-hand side equal to zero. Then, use techniques such as separation of variables, integration, or substitution to find the general solution with arbitrary constants.

3. What is the process for finding the particular solution?

The particular solution can be found by using the method of undetermined coefficients or variation of parameters. In the method of undetermined coefficients, you assume a particular solution form based on the non-homogeneous term and solve for the coefficients. In variation of parameters, you use the complimentary solution as a basis to find a particular solution.

4. Can I use both complimentary and particular solutions together?

Yes, the general solution to a second-order linear differential equation is a combination of the complimentary solution and the particular solution. This is known as the superposition principle, which states that the sum of any number of solutions to a linear differential equation is also a solution.

5. How do I know if I have found the correct solution?

To check if you have found the correct solution, you can substitute it back into the original differential equation and see if it satisfies the equation. Additionally, you can also check if it satisfies any specified initial conditions. If both conditions are met, then you have found the correct solution.