Finding Zeros of f(x)=x3-3x2-6x+8

• Thread starter math4life
  • Start date
In summary, to find the zeros of the function f(x)=x3-3x2-6x+8, you can use the rational zeros theorem and the rule of signs to narrow down possible factors to test. Starting with smaller numbers, such as ±1 and ±2, can make the process easier. Once one factor is found, the remaining expression can be simplified to a quadratic which can be solved more easily.
math4life

Homework Statement

f(x)=x3-3x2-6x+8

Homework Equations

p/q=+-(1,2,4,8)
f(0)=8

The Attempt at a Solution

What is the fastest way to find the zeros? I have to graph it. The back of the book shows the zeros looking to be 4, -2, and most likely 1.5. I am assuming we use the rational zeros theorum to divide by factors of 8 in a trial and error fashion. After I divided by 4 synthetically I got 1,1,-2,0 which I then divided by -2 to get 1, -1, 0. What does this mean? Is there a more efficient way to do this than randomly try all the p/qs?

Physics news on Phys.org
f(1)=0, so you know x-1 is a factor. Either use synthetic division or regular old polynomial long division to get a quadratic. It should be pretty simple after that.

math4life said:
After I divided by 4 synthetically I got 1,1,-2,0 which I then divided by -2 to get 1, -1, 0. What does this mean?

It means that:
  • (x-4) and (1·x2 + 1·x - 2) are factors (using the 1,1,-2 as the coefficients, with 0 as the remainder.
  • (x+2) and (1·x - 1) are factors

Is there a more efficient way to do this than randomly try all the p/qs?
Well, you could combine that with the Rule of Signs to figure out something about the number of positive and negative roots. Also, it's probably easier to start with the smaller numbers (±1, ±2) since it's a little easier to check whether f(x)=0 for those, especially for x=±1. If you can find just one factor, the expression becomes a quadratic which is easier to solve.

Got it, thanks.

Related to Finding Zeros of f(x)=x3-3x2-6x+8

What is a zero of a function?

A zero of a function is a value of x that makes the function equal to zero. In other words, it is the x-intercept of the graph of the function.

How do you find the zeros of a polynomial function?

To find the zeros of a polynomial function, set the function equal to zero and then solve for x using factoring, the quadratic formula, or other algebraic methods.

What is the difference between real and complex zeros?

Real zeros are values of x that make the function equal to zero when plugged into the function. Complex zeros, on the other hand, are values of x that make the function equal to a complex number when plugged into the function.

Can a polynomial function have more than three zeros?

Yes, a polynomial function can have any number of zeros, including none or infinitely many. The number of zeros a polynomial function has is equal to its degree.

How do you graph a polynomial function to find its zeros?

To graph a polynomial function and find its zeros, plot points on the x-axis and y-axis to create a curve. The zeros of the function will be the x-intercepts of the curve.