Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finiding a representative of the 2nd conjugacy class in A_n

1. Mar 8, 2013 #1
    Hey everyone, im trying to figure this out, but no luck. Help would be much appreciated. So i am considering a 5-cycle: pi = (12345) in S_5. Its centralizer in S_5 is just <(pi)>, which is contained in A5. Therefore, when we restrict our main group to A_5, the conjugacy class that contained ALL permutations of cycle structure 5^1 gets split into two conjugacy classes. Now, a representative of the first one is obviously (12345) itself. Which brings me to my question:

Q: How to find the rep. of the 2nd conjugacy class?

I asked a group theorist, and here is his response:
    (15)(24)(12345)(15)(24)=(54321)=[(12345)][/-1]. It follows that pi and pi^2 = (13524) are the 2 reps. In other words, (12345) and (13524) are NOT conjugate.

I am having trouble understanding exactly how this implies they are not conjugate.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2013 #2
    yes, jbuni, but i am restricting my group from S_5 to A_5 and the permutations you listed are odd, hence, not in A_5. Its all in the description of the problem i wrote above.

4. Mar 9, 2013 #3

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm not sure what your group theorist was getting at, but it's pretty straightforward to find a representative of the second conjugacy class.

Put ##r = (12345)## and ##s = (21345) = (13452)##. Then if ##g = (12)##, we have ##g r g^{-1} = s##. Moreover, any ##h \in S_5## satisfies ##hrh^{-1} = s## if and only if ##h = gz## for some ##z## in the centralizer of ##r##. But every such ##z## is in ##A_5##, so ##h = gz = (12)z \not\in A_5##. This shows that ##r## and ##s## are not conjugate in ##A_5##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook