Finite-Dimensional Vector Spaces by Halmos

In summary, "Finite-Dimensional Vector Spaces" by Paul Halmos is a comprehensive and well-written book on vector space theory. However, it may be more suitable for readers with prior knowledge on the topic due to its dense layout and use of language. The author's expertise on Hilbert spaces is evident and the book is a valuable resource for advanced linear algebra students.

For those who have used this book

• Lightly don't Recommend

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Strongly don't Recommend

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a good solid book, by an expert on Hilbert spaces, whose goal was to present finite dimensional vector space theory as the easy case of Hilbert space theory. The book was written back before really good sophisticated type setting software came in vogue, so the material is crowded and crammed on the page in a way that can make it hard to read. Just look at the table of contents to see what I mean. The different topics are all run together in a single paragraph instead of being decently spread out for better display.

The discussion is more in words than symbols as well, not lengthy, but demanding good reading comprehension skills. The proofs are also intelligently written and demanding close attention. So the mathematics is excellent, but may be best appreciated by someone who already knows a good bit of the material. I benefited from it when teaching advanced linear algebra. He made some things clearer to me that I thought I already knew, and pointed out some aspects I had not known, because he understands them so well.

So for many of us probably a second book on the topic, as is Axler.

1. What is the main concept behind Finite-Dimensional Vector Spaces by Halmos?

The main concept behind Finite-Dimensional Vector Spaces is to provide a comprehensive understanding of vector spaces and their properties, with a focus on finite-dimensional vector spaces.

2. Who is the target audience for this book?

The book is primarily targeted towards undergraduate and graduate students in mathematics and physics who have a basic understanding of linear algebra and abstract algebra.

3. What topics are covered in Finite-Dimensional Vector Spaces?

The book covers topics such as vector spaces, linear transformations, matrices, determinants, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, inner product spaces, and diagonalization.

4. How does this book differ from other textbooks on vector spaces?

Halmos' book is known for its concise and clear writing style, making it accessible to a wide range of readers. It also includes many examples and exercises to help readers grasp the concepts and apply them.

5. Is prior knowledge of abstract algebra necessary to understand this book?

While some knowledge of abstract algebra is helpful, Halmos' book does not assume any prior knowledge of the subject. The author introduces the necessary concepts and notation as needed, making it accessible to readers without a strong background in abstract algebra.