1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra Finite-Dimensional Vector Spaces by Halmos

1. Strongly Recommend

66.7%
  2. Lightly Recommend

33.3%
  3. Lightly don't Recommend

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Strongly don't Recommend

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mar 16, 2013 #1

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2013 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is a good solid book, by an expert on Hilbert spaces, whose goal was to present finite dimensional vector space theory as the easy case of Hilbert space theory. The book was written back before really good sophisticated type setting software came in vogue, so the material is crowded and crammed on the page in a way that can make it hard to read. Just look at the table of contents to see what I mean. The different topics are all run together in a single paragraph instead of being decently spread out for better display.

The discussion is more in words than symbols as well, not lengthy, but demanding good reading comprehension skills. The proofs are also intelligently written and demanding close attention. So the mathematics is excellent, but may be best appreciated by someone who already knows a good bit of the material. I benefited from it when teaching advanced linear algebra. He made some things clearer to me that I thought I already knew, and pointed out some aspects I had not known, because he understands them so well.

So for many of us probably a second book on the topic, as is Axler.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted