Finite Element Symmetry Problem

In summary, the individual is running a finite element simulation on a cylinder with a symmetrical opening at the bottom. They have modeled one quarter of the cylinder and noticed that the stresses are the same as when they compared it to the full model. However, the deflections are different and they are seeking assistance in determining the cause. One possible suggestion is that the deflection constraints for the quartered section may be incorrect, as the edges must remain perpendicular to the cut planes.
scootypuffsnr
Hi,

I am running a finite element on a cylinder with that converges at the bottom for a opening, which is symmetrical in both directions so i modeled one quarter but the problem is my stresses are the same with when i compare with a full model that i also done but the deflections are different

any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
scootypuffsnr said:
Hi,

I am running a finite element on a cylinder with that converges at the bottom for a opening, which is symmetrical in both directions so i modeled one quarter but the problem is my stresses are the same with when i compare with a full model that i also done but the deflections are different
Maybe the deflection constraints for the quartered section are incorrect? The edges must remain perpendicular to the cut planes.

1. What is the Finite Element Symmetry Problem?

The Finite Element Symmetry Problem is a mathematical problem that arises when using finite element methods to solve partial differential equations. It refers to the challenge of maintaining symmetry in the numerical solution while discretizing the problem into smaller elements.

2. Why is the Finite Element Symmetry Problem important?

The Finite Element Symmetry Problem is important because it affects the accuracy and reliability of the numerical solution. If the symmetry of the problem is not maintained, the solution may be incorrect or unstable, leading to unreliable results.

3. How does the Finite Element Symmetry Problem affect the results?

The Finite Element Symmetry Problem can affect the results in several ways. It can introduce errors in the solution, cause instabilities, and lead to non-physical solutions. It can also impact the convergence rate of the solution and make it difficult to assess the accuracy of the results.

4. What are some strategies to address the Finite Element Symmetry Problem?

There are several strategies to address the Finite Element Symmetry Problem, including using symmetric meshes, enforcing symmetry constraints in the solution, and using specialized numerical methods such as the Mixed Finite Element Method. It is also important to carefully design the numerical model and choose appropriate boundary conditions.

5. Are there any limitations to solving the Finite Element Symmetry Problem?

Yes, there are some limitations to solving the Finite Element Symmetry Problem. It can be challenging to achieve perfect symmetry in complex problems, and some numerical methods may not be suitable for handling highly symmetric problems. It is also important to consider the computational cost and time required to solve the problem, especially in large-scale applications.