1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finite Spherical Potential Well

1. Mar 4, 2009 #1
    This is more a qualitative question than a specific homework question, but a homework problem got me wondering about it.

I was solving the finite potential well.

[tex]V(r) = 0 \hspace{1cm} r \geq a[/tex]
    [tex]V(r) = -V_0\hspace{1cm} r < a[/tex]

I am trying to solve for the ground state energy. When I find the forms of the solution in the interior of the well, I find that I get

[tex] \frac{c_1 \sin{(kr)} + c_2 \cos{(kr)}}{r} [/tex]

I know from doing other reading that I should end up throwing away the cosine term, but I do not understand why.

I can see that it blows up at [tex] r=0 [/tex], but it still looks like it will be normalizable to me since a volume integral in spherical coordinates provides an extra factor of [tex]r^2[/tex]
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2009 #2

Avodyne

Science Advisor

It doesn't satisfy the Schrodinger equation, because [itex]\nabla^2(1/r) \propto \delta^3(\vec x)[/itex].

4. Mar 4, 2009 #3
    I don't understand that reply. I got it by solving the schrodinger equation, so it must satisfy it, no?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook