Finitely Deforming an Elastic Band to Launch a Payload

In summary, a group of students have set themselves a project to use a massive elastic band to launch a payload at high velocities, using self-studied linear theory of elasticity and Finite Strain Theory. They have set up their problem with a long hyper-elastic cylinder attached to the surface of the Earth and a bag of sugar at the free end. However, they are facing challenges in finding equations of motion, determining necessary radius to avoid yield strength, and determining maximum velocity of the free end of the band. A related thread on the Physics Forums website may provide helpful information.
SerArthurRamShackle
Hi. I've set myself a project with a couple of my classmates and despite the impracticability of it we want to do it as well as possible. Our aim is to look at using a massive elastic band in order to launch a payload at massive velocities, possibly even at escape velocity. To this end I've self-studied a lot of the linear theory of elasticity, Landau and Lifschitz was a pain to slog through but I'm familiar with the rest so it could've been worse, and I've looked extensively at Finite Strain Theory. It seems however that the kind of problems we solve with springs for introductory mechanics are never touched upon in elasticity so I'm at a loss as to where I should go and whether what I've been doing is correct.

We set up our problem like so: We assume that we want to launch a 1kg bag of sugar with our elastic band. We assume that our elastic band can be approximated to a very long hyper-elastic cylinder. One end is fixed at the surface of the Earth while the other end dangles into a purpose made hole in the radial direction towards the core. The bag can be attached to the free end of the cylinder which is then stretched along its axis before it can be released. This will require a large deformation so we make use of Finite Strain Theory. We'll also assume that the deformation is volume preserving to make things easier.

So, the cylinder will increase in length along its axis and will compress radially to preserve volume into a new deformed cylinder. The Deformation gradient is easy to get from that, it's just the principal stretches along the diagonal. Using just this I can find the Neo-Hookean Strain Energy Density and can Integrate that over some volume but I' left with several problems:

1. How can I even start with finding equations of motion?
2. How can I determine necessary radius to avoid exceeding yield strength?
3. How can I determine the maximum velocity of the free end of the band?

Engineering news on Phys.org

1. What is finitely deforming an elastic band?

Finitely deforming an elastic band refers to the process of stretching and manipulating an elastic band in a controlled manner to achieve a desired shape or motion.

2. How does finitely deforming an elastic band help in launching a payload?

Finitely deforming an elastic band can help in launching a payload by providing the necessary force and propulsion. As the band is stretched and released, it exerts a force on the payload, propelling it forward.

3. What factors affect the success of finitely deforming an elastic band to launch a payload?

The success of finitely deforming an elastic band to launch a payload depends on several factors such as the elasticity and strength of the band, the design and weight of the payload, and the accuracy of the deformation process.

4. What are some potential applications of finitely deforming an elastic band for launching payloads?

Finitely deforming an elastic band for launching payloads can have various applications, such as in space exploration, where it can be used to launch small satellites or probes. It can also be used in military operations for launching small drones or other equipment.

5. Are there any limitations or risks associated with finitely deforming an elastic band to launch a payload?

Yes, there are some limitations and risks associated with finitely deforming an elastic band to launch a payload. If the band is not properly designed or the deformation process is not accurately controlled, it can result in failure or even damage to the payload. There is also a risk of injury to individuals if the band is not handled carefully.