Output of FIR Filter for Different Inputs

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a FIR filter with specific coefficients and the task of sketching the output for different input signals. The equations used involve the summation of the filter coefficients and the input signals. The approach involves building tables for the input signals and determining the corresponding output values. The unit step function is also mentioned as part of the input signals.
freezer

Homework Statement

Consider the FIR filter with {bk} = {3, 4, -4, -3}. These are the filter coefficients for k = 0, 1, 2, and 3, respectively. Sketch the output y[n] where the input is:

x[n] = δ[n]
x[n] = (u[n] - u[n-2])
x[n] - u[n]

Homework Equations

[itex]\sum^{M}_{k=0}b_k x[n-k][/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure how to process this form.
I would build a table

for the first one x[0] = 3, x[2] = 4, etc..
for second x[0] = 3,..., x[3]=(3-4) = -1

I my notes don't have anything with u[n]

Physics news on Phys.org
freezer said:

Homework Statement

Consider the FIR filter with {bk} = {3, 4, -4, -3}. These are the filter coefficients for k = 0, 1, 2, and 3, respectively. Sketch the output y[n] where the input is:

x[n] = δ[n]
x[n] = (u[n] - u[n-2])
x[n] - u[n]

Homework Equations

[itex]\sum^{M}_{k=0}b_k x[n-k][/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure how to process this form.
I would build a tablefor the first one x[0] = 3, x[2] = 4, etc..
That's the right idea, with the exception of: don't you mean " y[0] = 3, y[1] = 4. etc.."? (As opposed to x[0] = 3, x[2] = 4?)

for second x[0] = 3,..., x[3]=(3-4) = -1

I my notes don't have anything with u[n]

I don't think that's quite right.

u[n] is the unit step function.
[tex]
u[n] =
\begin{cases}
1 & \text{if } n \geq 0 \\
0 & \text{if } n < 0
\end{cases}
[/tex]

I suggest making a table giving u[n] as a function of n, for n = -1 to around 7 or so. Then do the same thing for -u[n-2]. Then again for u[n] - u[n-2]. And finally make another table for y[n] with that input.

Last edited:

What is an FIR filter?

An FIR (finite impulse response) filter is a type of digital filter used in signal processing to remove unwanted noise or distortions from a signal. It operates by convolving the input signal with a finite-length impulse response.

How does an FIR filter work?

An FIR filter works by taking a weighted sum of the current and past input samples, with the weights determined by the coefficients of the filter. This process is repeated for each new input sample, resulting in an output signal that is a filtered version of the input signal.

What types of inputs can be used with an FIR filter?

An FIR filter can be used with any type of input signal, whether it is discrete-time or continuous-time. Common types of inputs include audio signals, video signals, and sensor measurements.

How does the output of an FIR filter change for different input signals?

The output of an FIR filter can vary depending on the characteristics of the input signal and the coefficients of the filter. Generally, the filter will attenuate or remove certain frequencies from the input signal, resulting in a filtered output signal with smoother or more desirable characteristics.

What factors affect the output of an FIR filter?

The output of an FIR filter can be affected by several factors, including the filter order (number of coefficients), the filter coefficients themselves, the sampling rate of the input signal, and the characteristics of the input signal such as frequency content and amplitude.