1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First ODE of an absolute value

1. May 3, 2012 #1
    so I understand the basic premise of differentiating a first ODE, or I thought I did. I have the equation y'-y=abs(x-1). I have no idea of how to go about this. Can someone walk me through how to do this? I'm attempting to study for a test and this is one of the practice questions he gave us so I feel as though I'm in some serious trouble if I don't learn how to do this! Thank you much.

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can you solve ##y'-y=x-1##? Can you solve ##y'-y=1-x##? These are the two cases you have depending on whether ##x>1## or ##x<1##. Solve them separately.

4. May 3, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First, you don't want to "differentiate" the ODE, you want to integrate it.

And the simplest way to handle the absolute value is to use the definition. If [itex]x\ge 1[/itex], x- 1 is non-negative so |x- 1|= x- 1 and your differential equation becomes dy/dx- y= x- 1.
    If x< 1, x- 1 is negative so|x- 1|= -(x- 1)= 1- x and your differential equation becomes dy/dx= 1- x.

Integrate those to get two general solutions, one valid for x> 1, the other valid for x< 1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook