First Order DE problem (electric circuit)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the charge and current in a circuit with a linear equation. The charge is found using an integrating factor and the current is calculated by differentiating the charge equation. The steady state solution is 4 and the transient solution is -9600000/(20+t)^5. The maximum current occurs at t=0 and is equal to 0.75.
forty
(dq/dt) + (5/(20+t))q = 20/(20+t) ... t=0 , q=1

(a) Find the charge on the capacitor at any time.

This is linear so i found the integrating factor which is (20+t)^5

and solved q(20+t)^5 = 20 integral ((20+t)^4) dt

and got q(20+t)^5 = 4((20+t)^5) + C

my C value i got was -9600000

solving for q gave me q = 4 - ((9600000)/((20+t)^5))

(b) Transient and steady state solution

Transient = - ((9600000)/((20+t)^5))
Steady state = 4

(c) Find the current in the circuit at any time, hence the maximum current in the circuit.

current = i = dq/dt

I differentiated and got dq/dt = 48000000((20+t)^-6)

**My problems

Firstly does everything follow, is my logic correct?
Secondly for the maximum current that occurs at t = 0 (presuming my equations are correct) is there anyway of showing working for that, other then stating its at t = 0? (t = 0, i = .75)

Physics news on Phys.org
forty said:
(dq/dt) + (5/(20+t))q = 20/(20+t) ... t=0 , q=1

(a) Find the charge on the capacitor at any time.

This is linear so i found the integrating factor which is (20+t)^5

and solved q(20+t)^5 = 20 integral ((20+t)^4) dt

and got q(20+t)^5 = 4((20+t)^5) + C

my C value i got was -9600000

solving for q gave me q = 4 - ((9600000)/((20+t)^5))

(b) Transient and steady state solution

Transient = - ((9600000)/((20+t)^5))
Steady state = 4

(c) Find the current in the circuit at any time, hence the maximum current in the circuit.

current = i = dq/dt

I differentiated and got dq/dt = 48000000((20+t)^-6)

**My problems

Firstly does everything follow, is my logic correct?
Secondly for the maximum current that occurs at t = 0 (presuming my equations are correct) is there anyway of showing working for that, other then stating its at t = 0? (t = 0, i = .75)

Yes, everything you've done appears to be correct. As for showing that the maximum current occurs at t= 0, it is sufficient to observe that 48000000(20+t)-6 is a decreasing function. Simply observing that as t increases, the denominator increases, therefore the function decreases is enough- or if you could show that the derivative of i is never 0- therefore has a maximum at an endpoint, t= 0.

OK so just observation is the way to really go, too easy thanks alot!

What is a first order DE problem in an electric circuit?

A first-order differential equation (DE) problem in an electric circuit is a mathematical expression that describes the relationship between the voltage, current, and resistance in an electric circuit. It is typically used to model the behavior of simple circuits with one energy storage element, such as a capacitor or inductor.

What are the main components of a first order DE problem in an electric circuit?

The main components of a first-order DE problem in an electric circuit are the input voltage, the output voltage, and the resistance. These components are connected through a circuit element, such as a capacitor, inductor, or resistor, and the behavior of the circuit can be modeled using a first-order DE.

How is a first order DE problem solved in an electric circuit?

A first-order DE problem in an electric circuit is typically solved using techniques from calculus. The first step is to write out the DE that describes the circuit, then use integration to solve for the output voltage or current. This solution can then be used to analyze the behavior of the circuit under different conditions.

What are some applications of first order DE problems in electric circuits?

First-order DE problems in electric circuits have many practical applications, such as modeling the charging and discharging of a capacitor, analyzing the behavior of an RC or RL circuit, and designing filters for electronic devices. They are also used in more complex circuit analysis, such as in the study of feedback systems and control theory.

What are the limitations of using first order DE problems in electric circuits?

While first-order DE problems are useful for modeling simple circuits, they have limitations when it comes to more complex systems. They cannot accurately model circuits with multiple energy storage elements or non-linear components, and they do not take into account the effects of parasitic elements in a circuit. In these cases, higher-order DEs or numerical methods may be necessary for accurate analysis.