1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus First order differential equations ??

1. Jul 23, 2016 #1
    what is a good book to learn first order differential equations ??

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2016 #2
    Other people, including myself, have recommended you titles. Please search your previous post.

4. Jul 23, 2016 #3
    Ross: Differential Equations
    Maurris Terrabaun (Not sure how this is spelled): It is a dover title.
    Zill or Boyce/Prima: These are the standard textbooks used at universities. Generic, but get the job done.

I would purchase Ross and supplement it with either Boyce/Prima or Zill.

The Terrabaun book is also nice, but for some reason I prefer Ross.

My only complaint with Ross, is that the operator method section can be hard to read for some people. A few of my friends found that section to be incoherent. I found it readable. Laplace Transform is explained well, but Zill gives a bit more explanation. That is the only thing I liked about ZIll.

Zill/Boyce have harder plug and chug problems.

The book by Simmons: Differential Equations with Applications and Historical Notes, is also nice. I found it to concise for my needs. Lots of thinking problems. It is an interesting read, like all of Simmons books. Found the coverage lacking.

5. Jul 23, 2016 #4
    MidgetDwarf ,

Shepley L. Ross - Differential Equations ,looks like a really nice book ...

thanks a lot for all the book suggestions ...

6. Sep 1, 2016 #5
    MidgetDwarf, what are the topics that you found lacking in the book by Simmons?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted