First order Partial differential equation

In summary: If you do stick to ##f'## notation, you have to remember that ##f'## is not the derivative of anything: it is a function on its own, and it is also the derivative of ##f##. So, for example, in your working, you have ##df(u)/du = x(3x)^{1/3}##. I would write that as ##f'(u) = x(3x)^{1/3}##. Then, before you integrate, you have to remember that ##f'(u)## is not the derivative of anything, it is just a nice function of ##u## that you now have to integrate.In summary, the solution involves defining a function ##
pondzo

Homework Statement

Find a solution of $$\frac{1}{x^2}\frac{\partial u(x,y)}{\partial x}+\frac{1}{y^3}\frac{\partial u(x,y)}{\partial y}=0$$
Which satisfies the condition ##\frac{\partial u(x,y)}{\partial x}\big |_{y=0}=x^3## for all ##x##.

The Attempt at a Solution

I get the following general solution for the PDE:
$$u(x,y)=f(\frac{x^3}{3}-\frac{y^4}{4}):=f(z)$$

For some function f which satisfies the BC. I'm not too sure how to deal with this type of boundary condition. But here is an attempt:

##\partial_x u=\frac{\text{d}f}{\text{d}z}\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}=\frac{\text{d}f}{\text{d}z} x^2##. Thus ##\frac{\text{d}f}{\text{d}z} x^2=x^3\implies \frac{\text{d}f}{\text{d}z} =x\implies f(z)=zx##
At ##y=0,~ z=\frac{x^3}{3}\implies x=(3z)^{\frac{1}{3}}##. So ##f(z)=(3z)^{\frac{1}{3}}z##, and changing variables back gives
##u(x,y)=(3(\frac{x^3}{3}-\frac{y^4}{4}))^{\frac{1}{3}}(\frac{x^3}{3}-\frac{y^4}{4})=3^{\frac{1}{3}}(\frac{x^3}{3}-\frac{y^4}{4})^{\frac{4}{3}}##

This is a solution to the PDE but doesn't satisfy the given boundary condition, it is out by a factor 3/4 and I'm not sure why.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You got to the point:

[itex]\frac{df}{dz} = x[/itex]

But to integrate that, you have to have the right side as a function of [itex]z[/itex]. On the border [itex]y=0[/itex], you have:

[itex]z = \frac{x^3}{3}[/itex], which means [itex]x = (3z)^\frac{1}{3}[/itex]

So your equation becomes:

[itex]\frac{df}{dz} = (3)^{\frac{1}{3}} z^{\frac{1}{3}} \Rightarrow f(z) = 3^{\frac{1}{3}} \frac{z^\frac{4}{3}}{\frac{4}{3}}[/itex]

pondzo said:

Homework Statement

Find a solution of $$\frac{1}{x^2}\frac{\partial u(x,y)}{\partial x}+\frac{1}{y^3}\frac{\partial u(x,y)}{\partial y}=0$$
Which satisfies the condition ##\frac{\partial u(x,y)}{\partial x}\big |_{y=0}=x^3## for all ##x##.

The Attempt at a Solution

I get the following general solution for the PDE:
$$u(x,y)=f(\frac{x^3}{3}-\frac{y^4}{4}):=f(z)$$

For some function f which satisfies the BC. I'm not too sure how to deal with this type of boundary condition. But here is an attempt:

##\partial_x u=\frac{\text{d}f}{\text{d}z}\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}=\frac{\text{d}f}{\text{d}z} x^2##. Thus ##\frac{\text{d}f}{\text{d}z} x^2=x^3\implies \frac{\text{d}f}{\text{d}z} =x\implies f(z)=zx##
At ##y=0,~ z=\frac{x^3}{3}\implies x=(3z)^{\frac{1}{3}}##. So ##f(z)=(3z)^{\frac{1}{3}}z##, and changing variables back gives
##u(x,y)=(3(\frac{x^3}{3}-\frac{y^4}{4}))^{\frac{1}{3}}(\frac{x^3}{3}-\frac{y^4}{4})=3^{\frac{1}{3}}(\frac{x^3}{3}-\frac{y^4}{4})^{\frac{4}{3}}##

This is a solution to the PDE but doesn't satisfy the given boundary condition, it is out by a factor 3/4 and I'm not sure why.

You are being led astray by poor notation! It is better in problems such as this to avoid the ##df/dx## notation for derivatives, and use ##f'## instead. The point is that ##f'(u) = df(u)/du## is just a function of ##u##---never mind for the moment that it is a derivative. Your equation ##x^2 f'(x^3/3) = x^3## becomes ##f'(x^3/3) = x ##, or ##f'(u) = (3u)^{1/3}##. Now do ##\int f'(u) \, du## to find ##f(u)##. Then, and only then, put back ##u## in terms of ##x## and ##y##.

Thank you guys, I knew it must have been something silly like that.
Ray Vickson said:
You are being led astray by poor notation!

Hi Ray, I really don't like the notation I use to solve these types of questions because as you say it can become confusing at times. What would your solution to a question like this look like? with particular emphasis on the notation used.

pondzo said:
Thank you guys, I knew it must have been something silly like that.

Hi Ray, I really don't like the notation I use to solve these types of questions because as you say it can become confusing at times. What would your solution to a question like this look like? with particular emphasis on the notation used.

Sometimes it helps to define another function temporarily, so you could say something like "let ##g(u) = df(u)/du##... ". Then your boundary equation would be
[tex] x^2 g\left( \frac{x^3}{3} \right) = x^3 [/tex]
Of course, using a new notation ##g( \cdot) ## is not really necessary, since using ##f'## instead works perfectly well, if you realize that ##f'## is a whole new function on its own. The fact that it happens also to be a derivative if ##f## is not important in some parts of the working.

Related to First order Partial differential equation

1. What is a first order partial differential equation (PDE)?

A first order partial differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves partial derivatives of a multivariable function. It describes the relationship between the independent variables and the unknown function and its partial derivatives.

2. How is a first order PDE different from a regular differential equation?

A first order PDE involves partial derivatives, while a regular differential equation only involves ordinary derivatives. This means that in a first order PDE, there are multiple independent variables, whereas in a regular differential equation, there is only one independent variable.

3. What are some applications of first order PDEs in science?

First order PDEs are used in many fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics. They are commonly used to model physical phenomena such as heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and diffusion. They are also used in financial modeling to describe the behavior of stock prices and interest rates.

4. How are first order PDEs solved?

There are various methods for solving first order PDEs, depending on the specific equation and its boundary conditions. Some common methods include separation of variables, method of characteristics, and numerical techniques such as finite difference or finite element methods.

5. What are the boundary conditions for a first order PDE?

Boundary conditions for a first order PDE specify the behavior of the unknown function and its derivatives at the boundaries of the domain. These conditions are necessary for finding a unique solution to the PDE. Common boundary conditions include Dirichlet, Neumann, and mixed boundary conditions.