1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First order Partial differential equation

1. May 21, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find a solution of $$\frac{1}{x^2}\frac{\partial u(x,y)}{\partial x}+\frac{1}{y^3}\frac{\partial u(x,y)}{\partial y}=0$$
    Which satisfies the condition ##\frac{\partial u(x,y)}{\partial x}\big |_{y=0}=x^3## for all ##x##.

3. The attempt at a solution

I get the following general solution for the PDE:
    $$u(x,y)=f(\frac{x^3}{3}-\frac{y^4}{4}):=f(z)$$

For some function f which satisfies the BC. I'm not too sure how to deal with this type of boundary condition. But here is an attempt:

##\partial_x u=\frac{\text{d}f}{\text{d}z}\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}=\frac{\text{d}f}{\text{d}z} x^2##. Thus ##\frac{\text{d}f}{\text{d}z} x^2=x^3\implies \frac{\text{d}f}{\text{d}z} =x\implies f(z)=zx##
    At ##y=0,~ z=\frac{x^3}{3}\implies x=(3z)^{\frac{1}{3}}##. So ##f(z)=(3z)^{\frac{1}{3}}z##, and changing variables back gives
    ##u(x,y)=(3(\frac{x^3}{3}-\frac{y^4}{4}))^{\frac{1}{3}}(\frac{x^3}{3}-\frac{y^4}{4})=3^{\frac{1}{3}}(\frac{x^3}{3}-\frac{y^4}{4})^{\frac{4}{3}}##

This is a solution to the PDE but doesn't satisfy the given boundary condition, it is out by a factor 3/4 and i'm not sure why.

Last edited: May 21, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2016 #2

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You got to the point:

[itex]\frac{df}{dz} = x[/itex]

But to integrate that, you have to have the right side as a function of [itex]z[/itex]. On the border [itex]y=0[/itex], you have:

[itex]z = \frac{x^3}{3}[/itex], which means [itex]x = (3z)^\frac{1}{3}[/itex]

So your equation becomes:

[itex]\frac{df}{dz} = (3)^{\frac{1}{3}} z^{\frac{1}{3}} \Rightarrow f(z) = 3^{\frac{1}{3}} \frac{z^\frac{4}{3}}{\frac{4}{3}}[/itex]

4. May 21, 2016 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are being led astray by poor notation! It is better in problems such as this to avoid the ##df/dx## notation for derivatives, and use ##f'## instead. The point is that ##f'(u) = df(u)/du## is just a function of ##u##---never mind for the moment that it is a derivative. Your equation ##x^2 f'(x^3/3) = x^3## becomes ##f'(x^3/3) = x ##, or ##f'(u) = (3u)^{1/3}##. Now do ##\int f'(u) \, du## to find ##f(u)##. Then, and only then, put back ##u## in terms of ##x## and ##y##.

5. May 22, 2016 #4
    Thank you guys, I knew it must have been something silly like that.

Hi Ray, I really don't like the notation I use to solve these types of questions because as you say it can become confusing at times. What would your solution to a question like this look like? with particular emphasis on the notation used.

6. May 22, 2016 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sometimes it helps to define another function temporarily, so you could say something like "let ##g(u) = df(u)/du##... ". Then your boundary equation would be
    [tex] x^2 g\left( \frac{x^3}{3} \right) = x^3 [/tex]
    Of course, using a new notation ##g( \cdot) ## is not really necessary, since using ##f'## instead works perfectly well, if you realize that ##f'## is a whole new function on its own. The fact that it happens also to be a derivative if ##f## is not important in some parts of the working.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted