1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First order responce; RC circuit

1. Jan 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Assume there is a voltage source in series with a resistor and a capacitor. Thus,
    [tex]V_S=i(t)R+v_C(t)=CR\frac{dv_C}{dt}+v_C\rightarrow{}dt/(RC)=dv_C/(V_S-v_C)[/tex]
    From this point I understand that one has to apply a negative sign to both sides before integrating, but why is it essential to do this mathematically?
    Why can one simply not do
    [tex]e^{t/(RC)}e^D=V_S-v_C(t)[/tex] where D is some constant determined by the state of the circuit before?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

The integrals to be performed are definite integrals:
    [tex] \int_0^{V_c} \frac{1}{V_s - V_c}dV_c = \int_0^t \frac{1}{R C} dt [/tex]
    As such the constants of integration cancel out, and you're left with:
    [tex] ln(V_s) - ln(V_s - V_c) = \frac{t}{R C} [/tex]
    [tex] ln(\frac{V_s - V_c}{V_s}) = -\frac{t}{R C} [/tex]
    and so on.

4. Jan 9, 2012 #3
    Nevermind, thanks for the help!

5. Jan 9, 2012 #4
    @ gneil
    My textbook does not analyze it as a definite integral, but it certainly makes sense to do it in that way. Just a few things, when analyzing differential circuits in this way, if the capacitor had an initial charge one would have the initial charge as the lower limit, with the charge on the voltage source being the upper?

6. Jan 9, 2012 #5

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Sure. That would work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook